Walkie Talkie Recommendations

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
CDT

Walkie Talkie Recommendations

Post by CDT »

Hi all. One prep I would like to get is a walkie talkie of somekind. My partner doesn't drive, we work about 15 miles apart both a decent distance from home, so if SHTF and mobile service dropped it would be nice to have a way of communicating (i'll keep one and she can keep one in her bag).

Any recommendations on ones that have a real good range and are pretty robust and reliable?
ForgeCorvus

Re: Walkie Talkie Recommendations

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Have a look at the "Radio Communications" board, loads of good advise there
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

CDT wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 pm Hi all. One prep I would like to get is a walkie talkie of somekind. My partner doesn't drive, we work about 15 miles apart both a decent distance from home, so if SHTF and mobile service dropped it would be nice to have a way of communicating (i'll keep one and she can keep one in her bag).

Any recommendations on ones that have a real good range and are pretty robust and reliable?
I'm going to be controversial here:-
OK. To use walkie talkies you have the choice of licence free Push To Talk (PTT) ones which don't have license or any etiquette requirements or you get Amateur Radio ones where each user has to pass a quite simple test and follow certain etiquette. You need to use a registered callsign, for example. Or there's CB about which i know nothing.

The thing is PTT, you are lucky to get a range of 1/2 to 1km because they are locked to low power (1/4W) and have fixed stumpy antennae. But get an amateur radio handheld and you get up to about 8 Watts and an easy range of 4 miles as is. Also with an amateur radio, you can get a separate antenna for the home base and range can be many tens of miles, or thousands using repeaters.

I strongly suggest taking the amateur radio route. Buy a pair of Baofeng UV-5TP 8Watt devices.

Now, super controversially: The Baofengs are perfectly capable of working on the PTT channels. It's not at all legal, but you would get the long range of maybe 4 or 5 miles without the callsign that would identify you. Would you get caught? Unlikely if it was a very rare usage, such as keeping in touch when driving the same route, or when out in the forest, calling back to the caravan.

There's not much in it for price. But trust me. Many/most PTT / PMR radios are advertised with exaggerated range and are rubbish. The Baofengs are incredibly well built and proper professional quality.

Here's some links.
PTT controversy discussed here
NOT RECOMMENDED pair of PTT or PMR radios
One Baofeng at about £32
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I would also recommend the Beofang UV5R, standard range is accross most towns but you can get a tactical antenna or a car antenna which will cover 30m easily. My UV5R will cover 100 miles on my home antenna.

The PMR channels are fine for playing but they are full off builders and kids etc. No one enforces it so jump on them.

As for amauter radio, I would strongly recommend this, not only would you learn loads but you will then be connected with some very technical people locally who can advice and assist you greatly as you learn communication preps.

The foundation licence is easy and online as well.

Good luck
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

cbp125 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:57 pm I would also recommend the Beofang UV5R, standard range is accross most towns but you can get a tactical antenna or a car antenna which will cover 30m easily. My UV5R will cover 100 miles on my home antenna.

The PMR channels are fine for playing but they are full off builders and kids etc. No one enforces it so jump on them.

As for amauter radio, I would strongly recommend this, not only would you learn loads but you will then be connected with some very technical people locally who can advice and assist you greatly as you learn communication preps.

The foundation licence is easy and online as well.

Good luck
What antennas are you using for 30 miles and 100 miles? ranges.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

My UV5R will cover over a hundred miles with ease when connected to my Diamond X200 white stick which is mounted high on my house, which itself is at the top of a hill... So distance is always easy at height.

For pedestrian use a "tactical antenna" which folds out to be about 1m in length will cover 30miles, if not restricted by houses etc.

For use in a car most decent car mounted antennas will work quite a distance with the UV5R.

The radio is far less important than the antenna, the standard antennas are rubbish, and only cover 5-10 miles accross towns etc, the other very important factor is height, as always height is might for VHF/UHF.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

The Diamond X200 is not a bad antenna but I'd get nowhere near 100 miles using one even knocking out 50w...I owned one for a while. The UV5r hooked up to my J pole or Yagi at 15m height or a magmount on my car will work a repeater which is about 15 miles away. I found the half wave 'Tactical' metal strip antenna to be no better than a Nagoya 771 when I field tested them. In a town/city I'd not bank on the 5R working more than a couple of miles as a handheld in a built up area.

You are getting some quite astounding results, your location must be perfect.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Well I would describe my location and set up..... but not here lol op sec and all that.

You make very valid points and I am sure we are both correct as it is very dependant on your location and the geography of where you are operating.

I must admit I am not a fan of the UV5r but I do own lots of them and do recommend them to others, I dislike them mainly as they are "cheap" and dont have the nice feel of the Japanese radios, but also because they become overloaded quite easily. When using in built up areas I found the amount of interference chirping and buzzing about made me more likely to switch it off.

However as a first radio I don't think you can go wrong. I have a nagoya antenna for my UV5r as well and it is very good, I only didnt mention it as it is hard to spell lol.

As for the range I can cover on VHF/UHF, it is as much of a curse as a blessing. I have to climb high up to install or move my antennas, and working such a big range also means far far more people can hear/listen to me. Quite often I have to QSY due to a net being run in a different county.