Cheapest non-3 PAYG SIM

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
cadpat

Cheapest non-3 PAYG SIM

Post by cadpat »

I have been thinking of avoiding using my iPhone away from home for reasons which I hope do not require explanation and get an old Nokia 8210 and have my calls and messages forwarded to it from my home based iPhone.

There are some good options with 3 but their SIMs are 3G which will not work in non-smart (aka dumb) phones and every other PAYG SIM seems to be heavily marketed towards data use.

I just wondered if anybody had come across a low cost 2G PAYG SIM, preferably one on which credit does not expire after a limited period.
korolev

Re: Cheapest non-3 PAYG SIM

Post by korolev »

Giffgaff runs on the O2 network, credit doesnt expire as long as you make a call every few months.

I use it in my spare candy bar Doro phone.
cadpat

Post by cadpat »

Thanks for that, I'll look into it. The only drawback for me is that O2 coverage where I live is virtually non-existent. I had to make a CISAS complaint against O2 around the time I moved into my current house because their coverage map was a complete joke. I took out the contract before I moved in on the strength that the map said there was solid coverage indoors but when I moved in, there wasn't a signal at all within about 400m of my house. It took about nine months but I got my contract cancelled, a refund of all payments and compensation.

Anyway, if I'm only using the 8210 when I'm away from home, that might not matter.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I wouldn't trust the mobile companies' maps, I always use the Ofcom one at https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage

In my experience Vodafone have got the best coverage. However, if it's flaky, you can always tape another operators sim to the back of the phone.