Equipping a vehicle

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Equipping a vehicle

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:10 pm

If you don't want to drill or make holes...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LifeHammer-011 ... th=1&psc=1

Has a clamping bracket to slip under trim orbonnthe edge of a door pocket
That's a great idea, thanks
No problems God knows what happened to the predictive text there :lol: ..

My mate has one and can say for sure it works well he used his at a RTC to gain access to a car and make it safe and got a pat on the back from the ambulance crew that were 3 cars behind him who were radioing it in as he put the cars handbrake on and shut the ignition off as the car was revving full tilt
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well Mrs a got her new car tonight the "yes love you've got plenty of fuel in it " within half a mile of leaving garage orange fuel light came on :evil:

More to my surprise as I was roughing in her dash camera the first three things she put In was the fire extinguisher in its velcro mounting sleeve , fak and high vis jacket :shock:

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

One question . I've seen it mentioned several times , a folding shovel. Why a folding shovel? It's a car so why not carry a proper full sized one . There's the space to carry it and should it be needed a full sized one will do a much better job.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

grenfell wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:33 pm One question . I've seen it mentioned several times , a folding shovel. Why a folding shovel? It's a car so why not carry a proper full sized one . There's the space to carry it and should it be needed a full sized one will do a much better job.
I've used a folding shovel to dig a car out of a drift, the plastic ones are great...... For fresh snow. But an exercise in frustration if its a two day old ploughed heap
The military folders are all much of a muchness in that the handle is too short and the head too small,
even a mini-shovel would be better.
I'll probably be putting the steel shafted builder's shovel in the boot.... It may even live there permanently as the car is a Volvo and has a boot like a warehouse
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:33 pm One question . I've seen it mentioned several times , a folding shovel. Why a folding shovel? It's a car so why not carry a proper full sized one . There's the space to carry it and should it be needed a full sized one will do a much better job.

Depends on the car a super mini or a big old defender / estate car....

I carry a folding mod entrenching tool all year round and a avalanche shovel in winter ... I don't plan on getting stuck but it beats using your hands :lol:

The entrenching tool is handy as you can use it as a a hooked scraper .. if your bogged a decent garden spade will be better for digging

PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

For me it's just practical to have a fold up one. I just have a folding one as it's compact and can fit into small spaces where as an ordinary shovel would move about more in the back and get in the way. I keep most of my estate boot space free for the dog and have my car preps in a large holdall bag in the boot - the folding shovel fits in there nicely.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well postman pat came today being the loving husband the wife got a gift....

£50 posted jack brace and pram wheel replacing the block of polystyrene and a bottle of goo + pump

Screenshot_20210506-180812.png
I'd prefer a full size but it won't fit..... But it will get her home / to the tyre fitter should the worse happen

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oh and on the kit list proper all season tyres tonights drive home from work was a mix of 10 mm hail and blooming snow!

Yes winters and summers are preferred by many but it's blooming MAY..... Might as well still be winter :lol:

I'm currently on nexan all season tyres they displaced the slush / ice mush with ease and had plenty of grip in reserve

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Thanks for the replies with regards to the folding shovels although i still not totally convinced by the space saving argument. I suppose i'm over blessed with spades and shovels as i have six in the van. Standard shovel , standard spade , narrow short handled spade , copy of a military folding spade , a long handled pointed shovel and a long handled spade with extra langs welded on to give me a good if heavy levering spade. There's also a spade strapped to the side of one of my trailers too. I suppose i've had regular tools before the folding compact type and never found a problem to put a spade or shovel in the car rather than buying a folder just to carry about. Equally i suppose there might be an element of frugality there. The folder i have in the van now is one i acquired on a clearance , needed unseizing but is fine now and useful for use in compact spaces but i'd dig out ( pun intended) the full size jobby if confronted with a snowdrift or deep mud. One thing that always sticks in my mind is looking at British troops especially from the second world war. They all had entrenching tools but also a full size spade or pick shoved through their webbing although that might just be a comment on the efficiency of the 37 pattern tool.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Remember that folding shovels were designed to be space saving and carried by troops, a full size spade has a massive mechanical advantage over a folder.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.