Equipping a vehicle

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
PreppingPingu

Re: Equipping a vehicle

Post by PreppingPingu »

tarmactatt wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:16 am At the risk of opening one's mouth and sounding like an idiot... Do glass breakers and seatbelt cutters not need to be within reach of driver/passengers...?
My seatbelt cutter/window breaker tool is in the pocket behind passenger seat so I can reach it from the driver position, though thinking about it, it probably should down in my door pouch.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

I've a seatbelt cutter/window breaker/magnetic phone holder that clips into airvent so it is always within reach. Brilliant little thing. Made by a company called stinger, available on amazon.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

PreppingPingu wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:24 pm
tarmactatt wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:16 am At the risk of opening one's mouth and sounding like an idiot... Do glass breakers and seatbelt cutters not need to be within reach of driver/passengers...?
My seatbelt cutter/window breaker tool is in the pocket behind passenger seat so I can reach it from the driver position, though thinking about it, it probably should down in my door pouch.
Imagine your car is/has been upside-down, now where would your escape-tool be?
I used to carry mine in the door pocket until a mate mentioned that, it now lives in a place I can close but still reach if I was hanging by my seatbelt.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've got a old school genuine life hammer mounted using its brackets inbuilt spikes to the head lining above the handbrake so you can reach it from the front or back of the car
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I had this conversation with husband last night and said that we need to fix the seatbelt cutter in. It currently lives in the door pocket, but would obviously fall out if we were upside down. Decided to go with the MSR pocket rocket 2 stove wise, also bought a Lixada cooking pot to boil water in, a a couple of Uco foldable cups and a few other bits and bobs for the truck. Husband who is now fully on board has asked for a head torch and a decent sized tarp to keep in the truck for Father's Day. Stove wise I now have quite a collection and may still pop the Esbit in there as a back up if there is room.
Growing old disgracefully!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:22 pm I bought a Coleman multi-fuel stove with the intention of putting it in my car kit...... Now I've got a car again, perhaps I need to fix this prep-fail.

The idea was the car runs on petrol and so can the stove. I have a 10ltr demi-jerry that I keep full so all I'd need to feed the stove is a beaker and a funnel.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that regular petrol is unsuitable for Coleman stoves as it can attack the seals. I posted elsewhere that the Aspen fuel sold for garden machinery makes a suitable cheaper alternative for "proper" Coleman fuel. I must , however , admit i've not touched my petrol stove for years now.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Finally got my gear sorted in the car. Just got to add some grub.Gonna put in some pouches of vegetable rice,pastas,pot noodles etc. All can boil in the bag,water added etc. Some tins of sardines too. You get the idea. It’ll all work via the hexi stove.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:04 pm I had this conversation with husband last night and said that we need to fix the seatbelt cutter in. It currently lives in the door pocket, but would obviously fall out if we were upside down. Decided to go with the MSR pocket rocket 2 stove wise, also bought a Lixada cooking pot to boil water in, a a couple of Uco foldable cups and a few other bits and bobs for the truck. Husband who is now fully on board has asked for a head torch and a decent sized tarp to keep in the truck for Father's Day. Stove wise I now have quite a collection and may still pop the Esbit in there as a back up if there is room.

If you don't want to drill or make holes...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LifeHammer-011 ... th=1&psc=1

Has a clamping bracket to slip under trim orbonnthe edge of a door pocket

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:10 pm

If you don't want to drill or make holes...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LifeHammer-011 ... th=1&psc=1

Has a clamping bracket to slip under trim orbonnthe edge of a door pocket
That's a great idea, thanks
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

On the subject just ordered a spare wheel kit for Mrs A's new car that she picks up tomorrow ...

Can of gloop and a pump .. or spare wheel and jack .. no brainer for me and price.. spare wheel kit cost less than a new tyre which would be knackered if you use the gloop kit..... Where as getting the punctured tyre off and a spare on normally they can be repaired for under £20 if not run flat or filled with gloop .. if the goo actually works and your not left stranded

Or you hit a pothole and bust a tyre or rim.... Not many people are aware that many breakdown firms class this as "accident" damage and your not covered for the call out and will get a bill for their services!..