2 Person tent

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Prep M8

2 Person tent

Post by Prep M8 »

Looking at purchasing 2 person tent.

What do people use. When lockdown easies I am planning on doing a bit of wild camping. Able to spend up to £400. Lightweight the better.

Was looking at the Macpac Minaret. But seems to be out of stock in shops.

Cheers.
Vitamin c

Re: 2 Person tent

Post by Vitamin c »

Hope you don't mind if I tagged along I fancy a 2 man tent too but cheaper the better (but good ) .
Thanks
Fill er up jacko...
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

If two of you are going camping then get a three person tent, in bad weather you'll be eternally grateful for the extra space.

If your new to camping especially wild camping I'd say don't spend more than around £150 on a tent until you know what you want and if your only a good weather camper. You can get the Vango Cairngorm 300 for £150

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-RCYofbIE
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Like Rik says buy tents at least one 'man' larger then you need, I don't know exactly how big the tent manufacturers 'Standard Man' is but its slightly smaller then the actor Peter Dinklage.

Also (again as Rik says) If wild camping is a new thing for you don't spend a bundle on your first tent, quite often the first few trips will give you a better idea what you need in a tent.

Separate the inner, outer and poles and try to share the load if theres two of you.

Shop around, last years model can quite often be picked up cheaper then the current one.
Or Pre-owned (check condition and see it pitched before you part with your hard-earned ) can be a bargain, especially if someones tried to fit three people in a three-man tent and needs the upgrade :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Prep M8

Post by Prep M8 »

Thanks for the replies.

Done loads of camping. Mostly in Scottish Highlands and Wales. Not in the last 5 years though. So I'm a bit rusty when it comes to the latest camping gear. Gave my last tent and gear away to a family member. Clearly a mistake. :roll:

Will be camping myself. Sometimes with my dog. I don't drive so looking at a tent that is light.

Pseudonym.

Cloud Peak.
They look like really good tents. cheers. Was on their website. They seem to be an American company. Can't seem to find a lot of stockists in G B though.

With regards to the Lanshan 2. Can I ask what stockist you got it from. Thanks.

Rik.
Vango are a great company. Their headquarters are not far from where I live. Tents are very popular especially with DOE awards. Their Technical tents are also fantastic. Cheers.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Now, at the risk of being called a dinosaur I would suggest a good old fashioned vango force 10 mk4. Does weigh an absolute ton (even more when wet) but if there's two of you then you can split the load and it'll last through any and everything (including the zombie apocalypse followed by a nuclear winter and of course having been designed in the 70's not affected by an EMP).
The mk4 is a three person tent therefore suitable for two + kit.
Blacks of Greenock still sell them new.
Prep M8

Post by Prep M8 »

Jeez nurseandy.

Those tents take me back to the 1980's when our school done the West Highland Way. Didn't know you could still buy them. :D

As you say. Absolutely bomb proof.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Look at the wild country range it's the budget range from Terra Nova

Eg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Country-T ... F5M0AD5D8R
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Nurseandy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:05 pm Now, at the risk of being called a dinosaur I would suggest a good old fashioned vango force 10 mk4. Does weigh an absolute ton (even more when wet) but if there's two of you then you can split the load and it'll last through any and everything (including the zombie apocalypse followed by a nuclear winter and of course having been designed in the 70's not affected by an EMP).
The mk4 is a three person tent therefore suitable for two + kit.
Blacks of Greenock still sell them new.
I've still got a Mk3 and a Mk5; fantastic tents just no need to carry that weight on your back. I've got a Golite Hex 3 tipi which takes bad weather with ease and weighs around a kilo. I did have a Hogback from Tarptent but as my camping/hiking days are all but over (health issues) I sold it, cracking tent

https://www.tarptent.com/tents/ Good exchange rate at the moment but you'll get hit with 20% VAT import charge...still cheap.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.