Rehydration

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jennyjj01

Re: Rehydration

Post by jennyjj01 »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:47 am The dehydrated food is now vacuum packed and in a coolish garage. I’m dating each batch and wondered if anyone advise on how long it will keep like this?
Forever :)
If you blanched carrots they will be good for 2 years easy. They go grey if they deteriorate
Onions >3years easy.
Never tried green beans. That would interest me.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

About twenty years ago I started drying frozen veg in preference to fresh. Why frozen? Its picked fresh and frozen soon after so is often 'fresher' than veg thats been sitting in storage for weeks. Its already prepped for you, no peeling and its nicely diced, its already blanched, then price, a kilo of ready prepped veg is @ £1 so you can't really go wrong, thaw out and dehydrate.

Best for purpose in my experience is
Peas
Green beans (sliced more than whole)
Sweet Corn
Swede
Carrots

Veg that I grow and dry tend to be courgettes/aubergines/peppers and tomatoes.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:56 am
If you blanched carrots they will be good for 2 years easy. They go grey if they deteriorate
Onions >3years easy.
I was hoping that I'd get longer than two years for the carrots as I could get that from tinned carrots.

The stringy green beans came out looking like burn matchsticks - I may have overdone them a bit.

I'll certainly look at rik_uk3's suggestion about drying frozen veg.

I've still got a lot to learn about dehydration but am finding it an interesting subject.

It's started raining, the snow is vanishing and I'm finally able to see the garden - first time in about five or six weeks.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:56 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:56 am
Onions >3years easy.
I was hoping that I'd get longer than two years for the carrots as I could get that from tinned carrots.
I did say forever. I'm using 2 year old stock. Though I haven't tried it, I'd expect them to be good for 5 years, maybe 10-15 years, just like tinned, especially if also vac packed.

Dehydrating frozen veg works great and no blanching needed. Works out cheap and easy.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

rik_uk3 wrote

About twenty years ago I started drying frozen veg in preference to fresh. Why frozen? Its picked fresh and frozen soon after so is often 'fresher' than veg thats been sitting in storage for weeks. Its already prepped for you, no peeling and its nicely diced, its already blanched, then price, a kilo of ready prepped veg is @ £1 so you can't really go wrong, thaw out and dehydrate.
I never thought of this, it looks an excellent idea. Just ordered a kilo of mixed veg. from Morrisions (85p) and will dehydrate these next weekend

Thanks for the tip