Portable (small) jump starter pack

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Rykard

Portable (small) jump starter pack

Post by Rykard »

Morning,
just cam to start the discovery and found the battery was almost flat, managed to use a small jump starter pack to get it running, but now think I need something a little bigger as it was bought for a 2l clio not a 4.4 disco.

Can anyone recommend one? I've seen Noco, but want to do a little research before I part with my hard earned. Looked on amazon and most seem to have very few ratings.

cheers
Rich
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Portable (small) jump starter pack

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

My Lidl one let all the smoke out of the plug in jumper part trying to start a 1.0l petrol car supposed to be good for a 1.8 petrol :evil:

So I plumped for one of these

https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-03936-rescue-pac-1600.html

As we have one at work and it's tried and tested in that respect

Not tiny but it kicks over and starts the big 8 tonne lift Perkins turbo diesel engine forklifts without a sweat

It's not tiny but it's not overly huge unlike some of the more domestic consumer units with inbuilt compressors / lights / inverters ...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I think a lot of the domestic end of the market tend to stick a lot of extra bells and whistles on rather then upgrading the 'grunt'.
I suppose because you can see the LED light, flashing beacon, radio, USB port, Inverter, compressor, etc but unless you know what the power rating means then its the only way to decide on unit A rather then unit B..... After all, who doesn't like shineys ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:23 pm I think a lot of the domestic end of the market tend to stick a lot of extra bells and whistles on rather then upgrading the 'grunt'.
I suppose because you can see the LED light, flashing beacon, radio, USB port, Inverter, compressor, etc but unless you know what the power rating means then its the only way to decide on unit A rather then unit B..... After all, who doesn't like shineys ;)

We've all been there 🤣 like most of these 101 multi survival torch radio / bottle opener usb charger things jack of all trades masters of none :shock:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessori ... e-pac-1600

I've had a few lithium battery units fail in terms of power banks the older style chargers use more reliable lead acid by the looks of it mines a AGM battery

Lemne

Post by Lemne »

We have this one and are really pleased with it. We needed the 3L for the van but they do a 2L one as well.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batte ... HoQAvD_BwE
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Lemne wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:24 pm We have this one and are really pleased with it. We needed the 3L for the van but they do a 2L one as well.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batte ... HoQAvD_BwE

Not bad for £70 :geek:

MancLife

Post by MancLife »

What's wrong with a cheap car battery and some jump leads?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

MancLife wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:05 am What's wrong with a cheap car battery and some jump leads?

Not "portable" jump packs are leak proof too and usually safe venting ...

I've done it in the past when stuck it works

Rykard

Post by Rykard »

problem now is getting in to charge it, battery totally flat and the manual lock isn't working... going to be an interesting few days
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Rykard wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:33 pm problem now is getting in to charge it, battery totally flat and the manual lock isn't working... going to be an interesting few days

Sounds like fun 🤪

Time to hit the car marque specific forums

You got a towbar with a white caravan aux socket?

Should be a constant live to the battery in there usually fused at 20a. White plug wired to live and earth and slap a battery charger on it for a few hours