Vacuuming problems - rolls, bags or something else

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Moorland Prepper

Vacuuming problems - rolls, bags or something else

Post by Moorland Prepper »

Hi there

About a year or so ago I got an Aicok vacuum sealer, this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Touch-Auto ... ooghydr-21

I wasn't too sure that I'd take to it so I got the cheapest model I could, perhaps a mistake?

I've just been checking some of my preps and noticed that quite of few of the seals had failed. The Aicok seemed to be working OK and the preps looked and felt well sealed when I had done them. I just wonder if the problem lies with the rolls that I've been using. These are sousvide vacuum sealer ones and I notice that quite a few times there were creases in the rolls which made sealing them difficult. I'm now thinking of switching to bags in future.

I wonder has anyone else had this problem with rolls or does the problem lie somewhere else?

I'm quite prepared to buy a more expensive vacuum sealer if necessary.

Once again I'd be very grateful for any advice.
Lemne

Re: Vacuuming problems - rolls, bags or something else

Post by Lemne »

I have had seals fail and use the sous vide rolls. I always do a double seal about 1 cm apart which helps. The reason for most of my fails have been vac packing with sharp edges inside, pasta is a classic. It punctures the bag rather than the seal going. TBH you shouldn't have any creases where you seal though?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:30 pm I've just been checking some of my preps and noticed that quite of few of the seals had failed. The Aicok seemed to be working OK and the preps looked and felt well sealed when I had done them. I just wonder if the problem lies with the rolls that I've been using. These are sousvide vacuum sealer ones and I notice that quite a few times there were creases in the rolls which made sealing them difficult. I'm now thinking of switching to bags in future.

I wonder has anyone else had this problem with rolls or does the problem lie somewhere else?
I've noticed that often the last metre or so of the roll has troublesome creases that hinder sealing, which is an awful waste. My solution was to buy longer rolls so the relative waste was less. Warming the bags might help. Also, I've had bags slow puncture with chopped onions and gritty bits of dried carrots, so I double bag often.. Finally, powdered stuff like flour can get sucked into the seal and ruin it, so I counter that by putting bagged items in 'open end first' so that any dustiness has further to travel.
This is one reason I'm switching to mason jars. Truly hoping my foodsaver hose will fit my cheapy vac tool. If not, it'll be my new fave toy the 4 quid brake bleeder. :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

Hi Lemne and Jenny

The seals on two bags of rice had failed. I rebagged these and then checked my pasta and noticed that some of the seals had gone. The pasta was alreadying bagged by the manufacturer so i assumed that it would be alright, but it obviously wasn't.

I've noticed a lot of creases on my rolls, and not just near the end of the rolls, even when kept at room temperature. I may just have got a bad batch, however I think that I will switch manufacturers and try out bags, something that I haven't used before.

Double sealing is an excellent idea and one that hadn't occured to me.

Thanks to both of you.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Also check the fiberglass tape which covers the element is crease free
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

At work , we vac pack on an industrial scale. Seals do fail sometimes through piercing, creases , grease and moisture at the point of sealing. And sometimes they just simply fail. It’s not 100%.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

I stopped using rolls years ago and now only use bags which seem to be a lot more reliable.

As others said don't get moisture/grease on the plastic or it won't seal right. I fold the top of the bag over on itself before filling, unfolding and sealing.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.