Choice and sources of Jars

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
pseudonym

Re: Choice and sources of Jars

Post by pseudonym »

tarmactatt wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:10 pm Really useful thread! Thanks!

My day-to-day ingredients are kept in the lever type kilner (and kilner style) glass jars. I'm deeply unimpressed with the Kilner brand jars, I've had quite a lot of flakes of glass from the rim where the metal lever makes contact.

Ironically, I've found the Ikea ones much better...
I've had no trouble with my Kilner jars at all; infact, I use them for tea coffee containers so used at least 7 times a day for the last 5 years or so
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have had to scrap using kilner jars for day to day stores as they can't be opened if you have arthritis in your hands. The only containers that are properly accessible are the OXO Pop containers - but they are bleeping expensive so I have been replacing the old system at a rate of a couple a month. I tried the own brand equivalents but they are not usable by my test subject. On the plus side it is extremely easy to keep DH out of the snacks......
tarmactatt

Post by tarmactatt »

pseudonym wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:50 pm
tarmactatt wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:10 pm Really useful thread! Thanks!

My day-to-day ingredients are kept in the lever type kilner (and kilner style) glass jars. I'm deeply unimpressed with the Kilner brand jars, I've had quite a lot of flakes of glass from the rim where the metal lever makes contact.

Ironically, I've found the Ikea ones much better...
I've had no trouble with my Kilner jars at all; infact, I use them for tea coffee containers so used at least 7 times a day for the last 5 years or so
hmm, mine were bought about 2 years ago, tops. Perhaps the quality has gone downhill between you jars and mine?

The chips of glass are rather like flakes from flint knapping - I find they come off the lip of the main jar at the front, where the wire around the top of the jar is bent 'forwards' towards the lever mechanism.

I'm all ears if anyone has any solutions, I hate these small flakes of glass.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

tarmactatt wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 pm
Snip> hmm, mine were bought about 2 years ago, tops. Perhaps the quality has gone downhill between you jars and mine?
Could be.. :?
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

tarmactatt wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 pm

The chips of glass are rather like flakes from flint knapping - I find they come off the lip of the main jar at the front, where the wire around the top of the jar is bent 'forwards' towards the lever mechanism.

I'm all ears if anyone has any solutions, I hate these small flakes of glass.
If they're like pressure flakes (as opposed to chips) then you may be able to stop them by forming a thick rounded edge.

Try using a diamond 'stone' to 'file' the edge off.

Well made jars (in fact any glass vessel) shouldn't have square corners on openings
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar