Garage Freezer: Beware

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jennyjj01

Garage Freezer: Beware

Post by jennyjj01 »

I've just been reminded, by a close call:-

Freezers don't like being cold! Check your garage freezers from time to time. In fact, manufacturers explicitly tell us not to run freezers in unheated garages. But sometimes, we do :)

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buy ... -outhouses

I have three normal domestic freezers in my garage and I just noticed that the one that is a combined fridge freezer, was not in the right temperature range. It had warmed up to about -10C, which led to a loaf of bread starting to defrost. Fortunately all the meat in there was still rock solid, but still needs eating ASAP.

It reminded me that this problem happened on previous very cold winters, especially when the garage is under a layer of snow.

Many, if not most domestic freezers cannot work properly in cold temperatures of below about 16C.

So far, it's only the combined fridge freezer that has exhibited this problem. The free standing chest freezer has iced up on the outside and a newer under-worktop freezer is coping OK.

Absurdly, the solution in my case is to run an electric room heater to warm the garage up to a more comfortable room temperature.
I also offloaded much of what was in it to the other freezers and will try to use it up ASAP.

Definitely use Freezer thermometers.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
izzy_mack

Re: Garage Freezer: Beware

Post by izzy_mack »

I love this site, you learn something new all the time, I didn't know about this problem. I have kept a large chest freezer in garage or shed for years and haven't had a problem but as my current freezer is getting on a bit, i'll keep a close eye, thankyou
korolev

Post by korolev »

You can get freezers that are suitable for outbuidings and are ok down to -15.
I know this because I bought one but it lives in the house now due to my incompetence with a tape measure.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

korolev wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:47 pm You can get freezers that are suitable for outbuidings and are ok down to -15.
I know this because I bought one but it lives in the house now due to my incompetence with a tape measure.
Cool :)
Thanks. I didn't believe that at first as most seem to need >16C room temp. But look at this bargain. Big freezer for £300 operates from -15C to +43C which is incredible.

https://www.beko.co.uk/lifestyle/freezer-guard

https://ao.com/product/ffg1545w-beko-up ... 91-34.aspx
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I was aware of this issue although we have a freezer in the garage that hasn't failed despite it being 3degreess in there , i've just checked. Given that a freezer gives off heat , easily felt if one puts ones hand close to the grille on the back, i had wondered about encapsulating the freezer . Something simple like a box made of kingspan insulation should keep the immediate environment high enough to limit any problems i would have thought.
On a similar note 2019 had very high temperatures and aircon was failing. I work for a guy who owns a refrigeration and aircon company and he explained that the issue is down to the fluids used. The standard fluids have a relatively narrow band of temperatures that they work in. In the uk freezing is a possibility so a fluid that can operate at those temperatures is required. Downside is that the top end workability is around 32-35 degrees. In spain or greece where there is less chance of freezing they use a fluid with a higher working temperature. He added that there are fluids with a wider working range but like many other things it's a lot more expensive and people tend to go for the cheaper option.
peejay

Post by peejay »

We have two upright freezers in the garage that were inside in. our previous house - they seem to be coping so far, second winter though last winter wasn't that cold anyway. Will keep an eye on them but although I knew there were outhouse-specific units, I never did understand what it was about them that made them different so thanks for the fluids explanation. I actually have a bunch of spare insulation, both fibreglass-ish & foam types so can sort something around the back of them if needs be.