Ikea Bulb

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Lemne

Ikea Bulb

Post by Lemne »

I saw this on another prepper site and thought it was a cracking idea. A rechargeable light bulb in case of power cuts.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tosthult-r ... -00400418/

You can unscrew it and walk round with it if you want. It lasts around 2 hours with the power off.
daylen

Re: Ikea Bulb

Post by daylen »

That's really interesting.

On one hand I think it's a great idea. Very practical and easy way of getting some backup light source to the masses.

On the other hand, I've a bugbear with the habit of putting none replaceable batteries in everything. The led will last 15,000 hours but the battery in it won't. It also massively increases the risk of lithium batteries being put in general waste.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

daylen wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:55 am That's really interesting.

On one hand I think it's a great idea. Very practical and easy way of getting some backup light source to the masses.

On the other hand, I've a bugbear with the habit of putting none replaceable batteries in everything. The led will last 15,000 hours but the battery in it won't. It also massively increases the risk of lithium batteries being put in general waste.
But if they don't build in obsolescence then they can't sell you them next year..... And all those poor millionaires will starve to death :lol:

Non-user Serviceable :x
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Lemne wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:17 am I saw this on another prepper site and thought it was a cracking idea. A rechargeable light bulb in case of power cuts.

You can unscrew it and walk round with it if you want. It lasts around 2 hours with the power off.
It's a novel invention, but I don't get it? Unscrewing it from the fitting to use as a torch seems a daft idea. Dangerous even if the socket became live while messing with it.
I could see value in a light bulb that stayed on in a power outage, but you wouldn't want it to stay on just if the switch went to off, so I can't see how that would work ( How would it differentiate from power cut to simply being turned off?)
And so environmentally hostile. Sealed in rechargeable battery and a whole lot of plastic.
Surely it's serving a niche that doesn't exist like a George Foreman grill with built in MP3 player. Or am I missing something.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Where did you get the George Foreman grill with inbuilt MP3 player?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

featherstick wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:40 am Where did you get the George Foreman grill with inbuilt MP3 player?
LOL. It was a reference to my recollection of an episode of some African American sit-com where a young wannabe inventor was raving about one. I don't think it was Fresh Prince of Bel-air, but something similar.
There was no such product.

Bugging me now. It was too obscure for google to find.
Here are some other daft ideas... :)
https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-inventions/
https://removeandreplace.com/2013/05/28 ... ually-buy/
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 pm
Lemne wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:17 am I saw this on another prepper site and thought it was a cracking idea. A rechargeable light bulb in case of power cuts.

It's a novel invention, but I don't get it? Unscrewing it from the fitting to use as a torch seems a daft idea. Dangerous even if the socket became live while messing with it.
I could see value in a light bulb that stayed on in a power outage, but you wouldn't want it to stay on just if the switch went to off, so I can't see how that would work ( How would it differentiate from power cut to simply being turned off?)
And so environmentally hostile. Sealed in rechargeable battery and a whole lot of plastic.
Surely it's serving a niche that doesn't exist like a George Foreman grill with built in MP3 player. Or am I missing something.
There is an on off switch for when the power cuts out otherwise it wouldn't work, obviously. Also it would be great to take it out and use it as a torch if say you didn't have a torch to hand perhaps? It's a light source that can be used when the power is off, what's hard. It's the same as a rechargeable torch but is always exactly where you need it. I would put one of these in my hall light and then if I needed to use it to find my other backup power. I've managed to change a lightbulb for the past 53 years without electrocuting myself so I think I'm sound there. If you are not then I suggest this isn't the option for you. Comparing a rechargeable light bulb to a grill with an mp3 player is ridiculous.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Lemne wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:48 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 pm

There is an on off switch for when the power cuts out otherwise it wouldn't work, obviously. Also it would be great to take it out and use it as a torch if say you didn't have a torch to hand perhaps? It's a light source that can be used when the power is off, what's hard. It's the same as a rechargeable torch but is always exactly where you need it. I would put one of these in my hall light and then if I needed to use it to find my other backup power. I've managed to change a lightbulb for the past 53 years without electrocuting myself so I think I'm sound there. If you are not then I suggest this isn't the option for you. Comparing a rechargeable light bulb to a grill with an mp3 player is ridiculous.
As you say, it is a light source! If there was a power cut, and it could be switched on , in situ , then that’s even better- overhead light. Interesting product.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I suppose this is a simpler and cheaper version of the emergency lighting that has been around for many years , this sort of thing
https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/product ... ith-legend
I had a couple of these years ago which i used as rechargeable lights . They had the largeish 12v batteries if i remember correctly .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:57 pm I suppose this is a simpler and cheaper version of the emergency lighting that has been around for many years , this sort of thing
https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/product ... ith-legend
I had a couple of these years ago which i used as rechargeable lights . They had the largeish 12v batteries if i remember correctly .

Modern ones have NiMH cells ;)

Larger ones have ni-cd

Nice simple adaption with a car type 12v switch and bingo a decent work light
Screenshot_20201125-200922.png

My dad (retired sparky) has a basic led emergency bulkhead over both his main consumer unit and his garage sub board wired to the lighting circuit... Power goes off the light goes on the meter replacement man was happy :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine