Who thinks a space earth ship is the ultimate idea?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Who thinks a space earth ship is the ultimate idea?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:07 pm WTF? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm off to get a glass of wine. :mrgreen:
Will you have enough?
338687b60da918c0baacfe0bc70798da.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Bad Wombat wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:51 am I don't think anything could survive a planetary collision.
It'll be fine , i've got my pyramid of sticks :D
(Film reference).
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm **strongly** resisting the urge to join in as I'd just give you a history of science fiction books and the NASA scientist who outlined ways to get us to start a low impact, low cost colony on Mars.

However ... Wildman, what you're calling an earthship is a great idea anyway - sort of permaculture, use everything you've got, waste nothing, it'd be fine on planet Earth ... but the chances of it surviving a planetary collision are trillions to one, ie as close to zero as makes no difference. I hope we're dug in to Mars/orbiting Jupiter well before thats an issue!
daylen

Post by daylen »

Nothing is surviving a significant planetary collision. And certainly not to drift into space and carry on surviving. Even if you could survive the impact, as soon as the Earth's magnetic field and atmosphere go, you'll be fried by cosmic rays and extreme temperatures.

But even if you did...

To do this with technology, you'll need to invent a whole host of technologies that we don't have yet and need access to amounts of money that even Jeff Bezos can only dream of. Basically, you'll need to be Tony Stark.

To do this naturally, without mechanical or technological help, and to survive in space you'll need a very, very large geologically active rock, ideally with a molten metal core. You'll need to gather an absolutely huge range of ecological and geological diversity. Then you'll need to ensure that this huge rock stays within the habitable zone around a suitable star. It can't stray outside of this or else it will boil or freeze.

In short, without another Earth-like planet or the entire planet's combined scientific and financial resources dedicated to the task for many years, it's not possible.
daylen

Post by daylen »

But as others have said, the aim of making an extremely sustainable development is a great one. It just needs a good dose of realism.
Squirrelcatcher

Post by Squirrelcatcher »

Just watch a couple of episodes of "Big Brother". Now, do you really think that mankind can survive being cooped up together? [Acknowledging that the contestants are not your 'average Joe']
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Squirrelcatcher wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:25 pm Just watch a couple of episodes of "Big Brother". Now, do you really think that mankind can survive being cooped up together? [Acknowledging that the contestants are not your 'average Joe']
Well seeing as we seem unable to coexist peacefully on an earth sized spaceship i'd have to say the answer would be a resounding no.
Now i know this is referring to fictional cases but i've watched numerous sci-fy films and series , star trek ,lost in space , and so on and can't remember one where everyone just got along and there was no trouble , arguments or strife. Yes i know it would probably be pretty dull entertainment but it just seems infighting to be the default setting for the human race.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Folks have struggled with mental health during both Lockdown 1 and 2 because of isolation... Just sayin'...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.