Big Berky water filter

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Lemne

Big Berky water filter

Post by Lemne »

I'm about to purchase a Big Berkey water filter for home with 2 black filters. Does anybody have one with any tips as to what I need as well as, especially re filters.
pseudonym

Re: Big Berky water filter

Post by pseudonym »

Has the Berkey a metal or plastic tap?

I have heard the plastic pne doesn't last long.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

pseudonym wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:25 pm Has the Berkey a metal or plastic tap?

I have heard the plastic one doesn't last long.
I'm torn on this as you can buy a stainless replacement tap but you can also buy a plastic tap that has a gauge on that shows how much water if in the bottom tank. I'm hoping the gauge one is better quality than the fitted one as otherwise you are flying blind.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

The plastic components of the Berkey is the weakspot with them.
If you have the choice, go with the metal spigot, didn't know they actually made them.
Had mine for around 8 or so years and so long as you treat it with care, the plastic parts will be ok.
Overtightening of the screws WILL cross thread, so be very cautious there.
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Use a ptfe tape on the threads of filters. Use one filter only no need for 2 at one go they filter far far faster than ceramic.
Buy extra rubber bungs for filling unused holes.or stainless bolts washers and seals.
Look at the stainless taps that berkey now sell and buy same from China few quid compared to berkey price for exactly same.

Identify and buy the suitable red food dye to test them.yes I have seen several faulty.
Cracking filter though ,shelf life of filters is I believe 25 years and don't over tighten the plastic nuts
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I have the biggest birkey filter and it is fab, had it for years and had no problems with the taps etc. I can fit 8 filters into mine and it filters very fast. I dont think the gauges are worth the money as you can easily tell how much water is in there by the sounds it makes and the water pressure. As the tap pressure drops top up, also mine has condensation on the outside of it so I can see the water line.
I used the british filters which are white, someone on this forum makes them I believe but they are better than the berkey ones. The black berkey ones have flat tops whereas the british ones have a curved top. Sounds minor until you fill it up, the flat tops splash and the curves tops dont...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

cbp125 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:39 pm
I used the british filters which are white, someone on this forum makes them I believe but they are better than the berkey ones. The black berkey ones have flat tops whereas the british ones have a curved top. Sounds minor until you fill it up, the flat tops splash and the curves tops dont...
Would those be the ColdStream ones?
Then that would be me, I work for the company that moulds the plastic parts.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar