Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
diamond lil

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by diamond lil »

My mobile cost a tenner on amazon. I love it :mrgreen:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:02 pm My mobile cost a tenner on amazon. I love it :mrgreen:
Mine cost a bit more, but its IP67 (waterproof to 1 metre)...... Otherwise its a dumb brick
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

The Green Man wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:18 pm My wife visited a well known coffee shop chain this afternoon, they took her order and payment (cash) but before they gave her the coffee the girl behind the counter said “you have to scan this QR code first”

“Scan it with what?”

“Your phone”

“Sorry I don’t have a phone”

Then began a lot of bemused looks and 3 staff members had to become involved because they didn’t know what to do!
:D
images.jpg
images.jpg (9.45 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
blue90

Post by blue90 »

The thing about surveillance through gadgets isnt that you have to worry about the government watching you, they have better things to do than count your fridge door operations at 3 in the morning, the surveillance you have to worry about is much closer to home than that.

Use it, let them think what you want them to think while you play your real hand close to your chest.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Depending on where you are in the country drives the ‘what happens next’ if you don’t have a phone to scan.

In North London where I live, the local places are broadly ok with not using tech to sign in. They take your details manually and job done.

My office is in Soho where Westminster Council are very very brutal on venues. So much so that in many places, unless you can tag in using the app, you don’t get in.

Now clearly your right to not have a phone is equal and opposite to the right of a venue to insist on certain entry criteria.

But equally clearly, it is easy to foresee a situation where not having a phone or the app, or having it and choosing not to use it, could vastly narrow your ability to go places and do things.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Bosworth wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:51 pm Depending on where you are in the country drives the ‘what happens next’ if you don’t have a phone to scan.

In North London where I live, the local places are broadly ok with not using tech to sign in. They take your details manually and job done.

My office is in Soho where Westminster Council are very very brutal on venues. So much so that in many places, unless you can tag in using the app, you don’t get in.

Now clearly your right to not have a phone is equal and opposite to the right of a venue to insist on certain entry criteria.

But equally clearly, it is easy to foresee a situation where not having a phone or the app, or having it and choosing not to use it, could vastly narrow your ability to go places and do things.

The local council have stuck up QR codes on all the local. Allotment gates.... The 2 workers didn't seem too impressed when I just walked in without scanning the app... "Don't bring my phone to the allotment I come for some peace and quiet.... Anyways what's the council's covid risk assessment for the allotments? You've put nothing in place bar the magic bit of laminated paper , no hand sanitizing facilities, no social distancing notices, the gates and locks have never been cleaned since they were put up".

Total silence.. (guess who's been involved in their workplaces covid risk assessments) :mrgreen:. Yet 20m away there's a large play area and nothing there
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:22 pm Must admit the brick Nokia in the draw of crap is looking like it's coming out of retirement
Same here, just as a prop though... :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.