Power tools

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
korolev

Re: Power tools

Post by korolev »

korolev wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:05 am I'm moving soon and looking for a cordless SDS. My son has a Bosch for work and it goes through anything but he's moving out so I won't be able to keep borrowing it and have to buy my own.
The one he has is about £350 but I'd prefer not to spend more than £200 if I can get away with it.
Ended up getting a Dewalt. Cost me £320 but goes through brick like a knife through butter.
Prep M8

Post by Prep M8 »

Nice drill korolev. You will get loads of pleasure using an sds drill. :D

I have built up my tools over the last 20 years. I have most of the Ryobi one+ range. Very pleased with them, especially the impact driver. Makes light work out of using 100mm screws.

Really enjoyed using a scroll saw for several years as well.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got a Lidl parkside 1/2" impact "windy gun" the other week surprising good cracked off the shocker bolts on the wife's 15 year old car without a breaking a sweat
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Prep M8

Post by Prep M8 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:05 pm Got a Lidl parkside 1/2" impact "windy gun" the other week surprising good cracked off the shocker bolts on the wife's 15 year old car without a breaking a sweat

I have a number of parkside tools too. they are good value for the money. Lidl are very good with returns as long as they are under warranty.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Prep M8 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:11 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:05 pm Got a Lidl parkside 1/2" impact "windy gun" the other week surprising good cracked off the shocker bolts on the wife's 15 year old car without a breaking a sweat

I have a number of parkside tools too. they are good value for the money. Lidl are very good with returns as long as they are under warranty.

That's it for what it gets used it's good enough... Got given a brand new metabo at work 3 months or so back it undid 9 nuts and died.... :lol: the Lidl has already done 12x remove and refit so has lasted well :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Still a manual tool kind of guy even the yankee pump driver gets used occasionally .I do have big dewalt battery drill 18 v but I still go to a old bosch 9.6 v which will and has run nicely off a car battery even a low 11 v or less crippled with few hundred amps is great to drive them.
Yup even dead car batteries have uses.
Often see drills put out for scrap dead batteries 99% of time anything that will run of 12 v or 24 v is picked up tested and put away.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

easy rider wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:06 am Still a manual tool kind of guy even the yankee pump driver gets used occasionally .I do have big dewalt battery drill 18 v but I still go to a old bosch 9.6 v which will and has run nicely off a car battery even a low 11 v or less crippled with few hundred amps is great to drive them.
Often see drills put out for scrap dead batteries 99% of time anything that will run of 12 v or 24 v is picked up tested and put away.
Wait! What's this? Can I run a battery drill off a car battery? What do I need to do? I'm assuming remove the battery & run a couple of wires from the car battery to the terminals in the drill?
Is it that straightforward? I'm quite excited about this, advice & guidance will be gratefully received.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:21 am
easy rider wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:06 am Still a manual tool kind of guy even the yankee pump driver gets used occasionally .I do have big dewalt battery drill 18 v but I still go to a old bosch 9.6 v which will and has run nicely off a car battery even a low 11 v or less crippled with few hundred amps is great to drive them.
Wait! What's this? Can I run a battery drill off a car battery? What do I need to do? I'm assuming remove the battery & run a couple of wires from the car battery to the terminals in the drill?
Is it that straightforward? I'm quite excited about this, advice & guidance will be gratefully received.
I've never done it myself but, yes, run wires from the battery to the drill and it'll spin. So if you can get a drill off ebay/wherever that has a faulty battery or charger, bobs yer uncle. I'd suggest getting a 12v if possible, otherwise as close to 12 as you can.
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Yup works for me.I have a 14 v that works a 9.6 v and couple others I think 12 v ish.
Just identify Plus and minus on battery with multi tester.
If battery dead utilise it to make up your 12 v plug adapter.safer that way .
Good wire.
Happy days
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Excellent, thanks guys, can't believe I've never thought of that. Every days a school day