Anybody making masks?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
BigTonyC

Re: Anybody making masks?

Post by BigTonyC »

I came across this a few weeks ago and have been using the method since; I always go to shops wearing one. No sewing involved. I bought a packet of handkerchiefs from Amazon to use for this method. Works a treat:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/03/how-to-ma ... -elastics/
redskies

Post by redskies »

I'll be making some, as I know ours will run out at some point. Planning to use the wetsuits the kids have outgrown for the outer, and use inserts of HEPA cloth from hoover bags, all soaked in salt solution & reusable. I'll make sure the filter - the HEPA cloth - is in a removable layer so it can be removed and replaced as needed.

(The HEPA tip came from my microbiologist friend)
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

I've made 2 designs, one before all of this. Both found in a site with lots of pins (can't remember if I can say the name). Both are without filters but double layerd. I hope any to experiment with a pocket. Just waiting for rain as I'm making the most of the sun to work in the garden. Also need to time sewing when hubby is not on a work call or meeting, or trying to get the kids to do school work.

I have only left The house 3 x since lockdown but have worn a mask. More to protect others in case I have it. Also used lots when sanding.
Things to consider:
The nose shaped mask fits better, but because of middle stitching it would need a filter, I'm planning on looking at vacume bag idea. Fiddly if not used to sewing.
The basic pleated mask is quicker to make, not sure how it would work with a filter.
Elastic. I have tried both around the head and ear loops. Whilst around the head is more comfortable it's not as fitting, also it's not as easy to safely remove.

I think, wearing a mask when out is good to protect other's (if you have to go out). They are also great for sanding and woodwork which was why I originally made them.