Excalibur dehydrator

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jamie187

Excalibur dehydrator

Post by jamie187 »

Hey all, I always buy mysekf something for Christmas (joy of being single) I've been toying with a dehydrator for a while now, I've settled on getting an Excalibur, the question is which one? would the 4 drawer be enough or do I save a while longer and get a bigger unit? I don't have home grown produce so I wouldn't need to keep up with seasonal growth etc, everything would be bought. Advice please?
jansman

Re: Excalibur dehydrator

Post by jansman »

I have a cheap round one with 5 trays( now 4 because I broke one) and it copes with garden produce etc. However, if you can afford the big ‘un, go for it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It's always a balance, that kind of decision: I've dehydrated a kilo of frozen veg fairly often, and the little round one (£30, most often) is just right for that. What's the difference in terms of money, what's paid out? Can you clean the trays easily (thats my personal bugbear)? Will you use the big one?

Let us know your decision.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Has to be the big one, the footprint is the same, but the quantity double, I use mine for drying brass more than anything else, but when I do food stuff 5 trays wouldn't be enough.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
richardivryn

Post by richardivryn »

I am having a dehydrator for Christmas also, only problem is that I don't know anything about it until I receive it on the day.

As soon as I do get it I will be looking for tips.
Area 12
jansman

Post by jansman »

richardivryn wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:35 pm I am having a dehydrator for Christmas also, only problem is that I don't know anything about it until I receive it on the day.

There’s a dedicated thread in the food and nutrition section. Deeps and pseudonym seem to be avid users of dehydrators, so no shortage of advice.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

richardivryn wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:35 pm I am having a dehydrator for Christmas also, only problem is that I don't know anything about it until I receive it on the day.

Ideal time to try it out with all that veg in the fridge. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
richardivryn

Post by richardivryn »

jansman wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:13 pm

There’s a dedicated thread in the food and nutrition section. Deeps and pseudonym seem to be avid users of dehydrators, so no shortage of advice.
I have seen the thread and there is a lot of good information on there for a beginner like myself.
cant wait to get started.
Area 12