Crow Bar - Too Much?!?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Deeps

Re: Crow Bar - Too Much?!?

Post by Deeps »

jaffab wrote:
Deeps wrote: How much masking tape have you got ? If its a whole roll of it then you can probably just take a few metres wrapped round an old bank card if you haven't already, save space and weight. That might help to make the 2KG.
It looks like a full roll, weighs 96g. On the basis it can fix tents, sleeping bags, etc, not much of a saving. But good idea though.
Even just to save space it can make a difference. I keep a couple of metres in my wallet (Mary Poppins handbag scenario) which should be enough for most occasions. I don't know if you've used Youtube for inspiration but its a great way to look at other folks kit. We'll all have our own take on it though.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Ever so slightly off topic but those planning on digging with an entrenching tool get a pair of cheap knee pads, makes digging a lot easier.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:Ever so slightly off topic but those planning on digging with an entrenching tool get a pair of cheap knee pads, makes digging a lot easier.
Or if you're over 40 get them anyway. ;)
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:Ever so slightly off topic but those planning on digging with an entrenching tool get a pair of cheap knee pads, makes digging a lot easier.
Better still get a pair or too of those work trousers Aldi and Lidl sell with the pockets for knee pads in, I've never worn knee pads which didn't cause pain and itching behind my knees or the back of my legs from the straps, I wish I had invested in trousers like that when I was working, the years of kneeling on joists or just hard floors took their toll on my knees.

As for crow bars, it all has me thinking maybe we need a selection of backpacks for scenarios, a bit like Thunderbird 2 :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

Go on then.. lets expand this - what are the best bug out trousers (URL/link). Was going to bug out in jeans (tough, strong), but thinking about it, if they get wet, they take a very long time to dry.
SO what trousers are tough, strong, and have knee cap flaps?
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Back when I was a theatre tech I used to wear de Walt work trousers like these Dewalt DWC17-001 Mens Low Rise Multi-Po ... IybJBMTEGC and they were pretty hard wearing.
They're not cheap, but they were pretty decent quality and had a lot of pockets for tools and bits and bobs.

If you search dewalt trousers on Amazon it throws up a few different dewalt ones and some similar non branded ones that are a bit cheaper and I would guess at least some of them will be the same or similar quality.

I have seen similar in lidl and Aldi before so it's worth keeping an eye out if you use those stores.

Failing that just be like this guy and toughen up your knees! https://youtu.be/vruy2GRUsV8
(I don't advise that really, can't see it helping but a good excuse to post the link)
Look at about 1 minute if the music isn't your thing, he used to come off stage covered in blood from doing that!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Plymtom wrote:
Deeps wrote:
Better still get a pair or too of those work trousers Aldi and Lidl sell with the pockets for knee pads in, I've never worn knee pads which didn't cause pain and itching behind my knees or the back of my legs from the straps, I wish I had invested in trousers like that when I was working, the years of kneeling on joists or just hard floors took their toll on my knees.

As for crow bars, it all has me thinking maybe we need a selection of backpacks for scenarios, a bit like Thunderbird 2 :lol:
I bought these for alpha male

http://www.johnlewis.com/burgon-ball-kn ... s/p1653735

other department stores are available.........

He loves them

and I'm really keen on this

http://www.johnlewis.com/burgon-ball-kn ... ction=jump

Crow bar? Too much weight...........
Knowledge is power
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Trying to work out why people would want a spade, and failing.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

sethorly wrote:Trying to work out why people would want a spade, and failing.
1) Improvised Crow Bar (But suspect it would snap with too much pressure)
2) Digging a fire pit
3) Digging a toilet hole
4) Digging yourself out of a hole
5) Digging Your Scene (The Blow Monkeys, From the Album Animal Magic, Released: 1986)

Limited real uses for a fair amount of weight.

Why it is out of my BOB and in the boot of my car
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

For those jobs I'd just sharpen a stick and use that.

I read somewhere that the only 5 tools you really need are a knife, an axe, a saw, a wood-carving tool (like a curved spoon carving knife) and an awl. The idea is that you could make most other tools from those. Not sure about just how necessary the wood carving knife is though - you can use burning coals to make indentations in wood. And if you include ferro-rods as a tool I'd have one of those rather than a curved blade - friction fires are just well-beyond me atm.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======