Knives - Carrying / Issues

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Meta

Post by Meta »

Just something I have noticed recently is there is a lot of concern over carrying knives etc - even down to the little wallet style cards/kits. On my person at any given time I have:

Leatherman OHT: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/leatherman- ... lsrc=aw.ds

Openil number 7: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/opinel-no-0 ... fe-p294658

Both are technically illegal & are indeed locking blades. However, I travel daily from Milton Keynes, to London Euston and across to one of five offices around London & have never had any kind of an issue.

I have been stopped and searched (due to an active terror threat a while back - everyone was searched in this particular area) - the officer doing the searching asked to borrow the OHT to sort a fastening on his uniform, although I was asked about the openil as I have it sharpened to a razor edge, I simply said I use it for box opening / cutting cable ties (which is true) and I don't want to use an expensive multi tool to cut paper/card.

I have also been stopped carrying my Ka-Bar BK2: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 (5.5inch fixed blade beast of a knife) - I use it for splitting wood, small camp prep etc etc. When asked about this one, I explained what I was doing and where I was heading - got an 'enjoy yourself'...

Should point out the biggest thing with dealing with the plod is the attitude test, don't try to hide them if stopped, don't worry about them, it is perfectly reasonable for you to carry these items if there is use for them. Its more when someone is carrying something like the BK2 to the office, or in central London - there is no scenario where it will be needed unless you are planning on using it as a weapon.

I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for carrying a pointy thing, unless they have been flaunting or using inappropriately or it having absolutely no reason to be on that person at the time. (Mrs Meta is ex Red Cap, and currently in CID and completely agrees with this).
own your situation before it owns you
covertcolin

Re: Knives - Carrying / Issues

Post by covertcolin »

nice one.

had to chuckle at copper asking to use the leatherman :lol:

I still carry my SAK in a rucksack, it has lockable blade, I use it on regular basis appropriately.

but law is law and technically its being broken. so it does bother me a bit. purely because i don't want my tools to be taken away- theyre not blinking cheap are they! :shock:

I have some meaty things that are used when out camping, from Kershaw 10 to simple moras, im sure we all have these.

youre right Meta, these are tools and we are using them appropriately, mine are staying put for now.
Meta

Post by Meta »

covertcolin wrote:nice one.

had to chuckle at copper asking to use the leatherman :lol:

I still carry my SAK in a rucksack, it has lockable blade, I use it on regular basis appropriately.

but law is law and technically its being broken. so it does bother me a bit. purely because i don't want my tools to be taken away- theyre not blinking cheap are they! :shock:

I have some meaty things that are used when out camping, from Kershaw 10 to simple moras, im sure we all have these.

youre right Meta, these are tools and we are using them appropriately, mine are staying put for now.
Completely agree, law is law and they can confiscate for misuse. But if you are carrying for a purpose - I don't think it's technically breaking any laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

attitude and time of day goes along way as does common sense
As a retired copper of 30 years service i never arrested someone with a blade or 'pointy thing' unless it was clear they were talking bollox and were on the way to burgle or some such thing however it should be noted that no single person has been sent to prison for the 5 yrs as promised by several incoming govenments just for carrying a bladed pointed article, which shows just how rubbish the system is
When in the job i always carried a very very sharp opinel locking Knife for seat-belts and deer and used it several times and in one of my pockets a Swiss army knife which my dad got me when i joined the army 35 years ago, and it still does the business although i had to replace the tools in it a couple of time. and like others on this forum I carry a knife both on me and in the car.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Basic laws on knives
It is illegal to:

sell a knife to anyone under 18 (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives) unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62cm) or less
carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62cm) or less
carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife)
Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:

have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener
Banned knives and weapons
It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:

butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’) - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
flick knives (also known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - a blade hidden inside a handle which shoots out when a button is pressed
gravity knives
stealth knives - a knife or spike not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
zombie knives - a knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence
swords, including samurai swords - a curved blade over 50cm (with some exceptions, such as antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
sword-sticks - a hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade
push daggers
blowpipes (‘blow gun’)
telescopic truncheons - extend automatically by pressing button or spring in the handle
batons - straight, side-handled or friction-lock truncheons
hollow kubotans - a cylinder-shaped keychain holding spikes
shurikens (also known as ‘shaken’, ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
kusari-gama - a sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire
kyoketsu-shoge - a hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire
kusari (or ‘manrikigusari’) - a weight attached to a rope, cord, wire
hand or foot-claws
knuckledusters
This is not a complete list of banned knives and weapons. Contact your local police to check if a knife or weapon is illegal.

Good reasons for carrying a knife or weapon
Examples of good reasons to carry a knife or weapon in public can include:

taking knives you use at work to and from work
taking it to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
if it’ll be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, for example the kirpan some Sikhs carry
if it’ll be used in a demonstration or to teach someone how to use it
A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife or a weapon if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.

Last updated: 9 September 2016 from HM Government
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Meta

Post by Meta »

gamekeeper752 wrote:Basic laws on knives
It is illegal to:

sell a knife to anyone under 18 (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives) unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62cm) or less
carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62cm) or less
Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:

can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener
It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:

butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’) - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
flick knives (also known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - a blade hidden inside a handle which shoots out when a button is pressed
gravity knives
stealth knives - a knife or spike not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
zombie knives - a knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence
swords, including samurai swords - a curved blade over 50cm (with some exceptions, such as antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
push daggers
blowpipes (‘blow gun’)
telescopic truncheons - extend automatically by pressing button or spring in the handle
hand or foot-claws
knuckledusters
This is not a complete list of banned knives and weapons. Contact your local police to check if a knife or weapon is illegal.

if it’ll be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, for example the kirpan some Sikhs carry
A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife or a weapon if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.

Spot on thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

gamekeeper752 wrote:Basic laws on knives
It is illegal to:

gravity knives
push daggers
blowpipes (‘blow gun’)
hand or foot-claws
knuckledusters

Pretty comprehensive there, thanks for posting it mate. like yourself I'm a SAK boy, I've carried once since I was a child, well done on keeping one going for 35 years, I've had my current one for 15+ maybe and one of the sides is coming loose, I'll need to look to that. I'm curious, as an ex copper, are SAK's and the like treated more like tools than things like the Opinel or other knives that are just a knife blade ? I know it will come down to the individual Officer but do you think that some pocket knives are more 'acceptable' than others to the Police. No probs if you don't want to answer I'll understand mate.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

gamekeeper752 wrote:or example the kirpan some Sikhs carry

Think that one is about to be tested / clarified after last weekend

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-co ... e-37332307
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
covertcolin

Post by covertcolin »

gamekeeper752- thanks for taking time to educate, much appreciated.

nice one.
Meta

Post by Meta »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
gamekeeper752 wrote:or example the kirpan some Sikhs carry

Think that one is about to be tested / clarified after last weekend

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-co ... e-37332307

I think its still down to the fact they were brandishing them as weapons :)