10 year olds purse

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
aldhelm

10 year olds purse

Post by aldhelm »

Following on from our few days away, my 10 year old niece is now after a purse sized kit to carry around. Her parents think I'm mad so they have to see the logic of every item.

So far I've put together:
A couple of quid in change
List of useful phone numbers
A couple of plasters
Pencil and paper
Rubberband
Carrier bag

It's only a coin purse so size is a real issue, can anyone think of anything I've missed.

Thanks gang.
sniper 55

Re: 10 year olds purse

Post by sniper 55 »

Antiseptic wipes and a whistle?
redskies

Post by redskies »

One of those flat, keychain torch thingies?
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

I don't know how mature your niece (without that sounding like I'm being mean - I'm not!!) is, but maybe something small of sentimental value? Like a photo or a keyring or something along those lines that she occasionally likes to look at when she's feeling upset.

To be honest, there's not much more she should have in her purse at that age - in my opinion. But I think you've covered most things.
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

This is lovely! A question and a comment ... what's the rubber band for? (sorry!) and are the plasters in a little plastic bag?

Come to that, the phone numbers - her mum and dad, big bro or sis, her school, you? does she understand the 999 concept? What about the number of a taxi firm, and a laminated note from mum and dad that they will pay on "delivery" to X postcode (I'm thinking not to write down the address, just the postcode).

HTH.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Wow a brilliant response Thank you all. I knew that I could rely on you all.

To answer the two questions from Badger and Arzosah
I don't know how mature your niece (without that sounding like I'm being mean - I'm not!!)
Unfortunately not very although quite intelligent book wise she has little to no street smarts, she's very quick to burst into tears when anything happens out of the ordinary, hopefully now she's listening she'll be a little more able to cope.
what's the rubber band for? (sorry!) and are the plasters in a little plastic bag?
She saw a rubber band wrapped around a cigar tube I had in my pocket and asked why I had it, so I told her how useful they are and how I had once repaired a wheelchairs faulty footplate with one until I got the guy back to his nursing home and it could be repaired properly, she was adamant that she wanted one in any kit I gave her then. :lol:

The plasters weren't in a bag but will be shortly along with couple of antiseptic wipes.

While I agree with the keyring torch and whistle I think all I'll get off her parents is "she's never out on her own at night blah blah blah" I just need someone to fall down the unlit steps at the end of their drive. :twisted:

The taxi number is a good idea and the laminated note as well I'll do 3 postcodes so she's covered as many bases as possible, we live in different areas
and the majority of us work only her grandparents are retired and don't any more, so they are the primary contact.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I would laminate the contacts list, also add doctors name and telephone number to the list if not already on there and any allergies. A small box of tic tac if theres any room left or a couple of hard boiled sweets.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

You forgot the ka-bar and grenades. :)

Seriously though, where I live you can buy scratch off one day bus passes in newsagents, if the local bus company does the same one of those would be a good addition, and I second the small torch suggestion.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Don't just need a torch when it's dark - they're useful for finding things in all sorts of dark and dreary corners. Plus, if her parents aren't prepared and are out with her in the dark, her having a torch on her would be handy!
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Arzosah wrote:This is lovely! A question and a comment ... what's the rubber band for? (sorry!) and are the plasters in a little plastic bag?

Come to that, the phone numbers - her mum and dad, big bro or sis, her school, you? does she understand the 999 concept? What about the number of a taxi firm, and a laminated note from mum and dad that they will pay on "delivery" to X postcode (I'm thinking not to write down the address, just the postcode).

HTH.
Have you talked to ten year olds recently? They are more mature these days, I'd be concerned if she didn't understand 999. Blimey most 10 year olds around here are out on the p*** every weekend... ;)