The last time you used your EDC?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
aldhelm

Re: The last time you used your EDC?

Post by aldhelm »

I have one that contains minimal stuff that is used regularly, when I'm not far from my GHB which is in the car which has my multi tool etc in it.

Last time I used something from there was today, tissues were today's item, Wednesdays was paracetamol for wife's headache, and on Tuesday it was a rubberband to repair a wheelchair with a broken footplate, OK it wasn't a permanent fix but it got us to the transport to get us back to the nursing home.

When I first signed up here I'd never thought of an EDC, I was more a food tins and water kinda person, so I'll just take this chance to say thanks to everyone on here for both making my life a little easier and for making me realise there is more to prepping than I ever thought.
raz

Post by raz »

I used my poncho when the heavens opened up half way round my patrol yesterday and my torch is used every day :)
metatron

Post by metatron »

I was looking for a new multi-tool with exchangeable cutting tips and noticed the Leatherman OHT has a few sellers on Amazon selling them for around £50, which isn't a lot more then the Wingman, considering the OHT is a much better made tool with the use of higher quality materials as it was designed with the military in mind.

This stuff is perfectly legal to carry, you just need a reason if you get searched. Remember if you are getting searched, the police need reason of suspension. So at that point they already think you've done something, even if you are carrying a sharp looking spoon its going to raise an eyebrow and get you dragged down the police station.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I'm constantly using about 50% of mine. Wallet, keys, phone. Used my keyring SAK to cut some plugs off some electrics I was throwing out. I like plugs. To be honest, that little thing is constantly getting used, to file my nails, pluck nostril hairs, open packages - the little philips screw driver is brilliant too, especially for the kids toys to get to the batteries.

I have about 50% of my EDC that is more for emergency use, such as lighter, emergency contact info, spare contact lenses, first aid and medication stuff.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

metatron wrote:I was looking for a new multi-tool with exchangeable cutting tips and noticed the Leatherman OHT has a few sellers on Amazon selling them for around £50, which isn't a lot more then the Wingman, considering the OHT is a much better made tool with the use of higher quality materials as it was designed with the military in mind.

This stuff is perfectly legal to carry, you just need a reason if you get searched. Remember if you are getting searched, the police need reason of suspension. So at that point they already think you've done something, even if you are carrying a sharp looking spoon its going to raise an eyebrow and get you dragged down the police station.

if you ever bust it leatheman's warrenty is second to none less than a weeks turn around on mine (and i posted it 2nd class) they sent me a brand new one :D
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
i11matic1795

Post by i11matic1795 »

I carry a legal carry Imperial pocket knife, I use it almost every day at work opening boxes etc, I work in IT so it's not exactly a job you might expect a knife to be of much use, but it's just so much handier.
I have had the odd funny look, especially this morning when it fell through a hole in my pocket and ended up falling down my pants at the sarnie van :lol:
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

metatron wrote:I was looking for a new multi-tool with exchangeable cutting tips and noticed the Leatherman OHT has a few sellers on Amazon selling them for around £50, which isn't a lot more then the Wingman, considering the OHT is a much better made tool with the use of higher quality materials as it was designed with the military in mind.

I have an OHT I like it, but sorry to P1$$ on both our fireworks... it's got locking blades and for the most part I haven't got good enough reason, unless helping old ladies get their pound out of a Tesco trolley will do ;) I'm in my 50s and the only time I'd have a truly legit reason for carrying it, the OHT would be the least of their concerns.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Plymtom wrote:

I have an OHT I like it, but sorry to P1$$ on both our fireworks... it's got locking blades and for the most part I haven't got good enough reason, unless helping old ladies get their pound out of a Tesco trolley will do ;) I'm in my 50s and the only time I'd have a truly legit reason for carrying it, the OHT would be the least of their concerns.
It has a strap cutter, I've had to cut a seatbelt before. Part of a first aid kit as a first responder seems like a good reason to me. Already put it to good use, the cable that connects the bonnet release to the lever in the car came out, so used the screw drivers to remove the panel and then the pliers to put the steel wire back into the plastic holder.

Also my car is a piece of sh*t and breaks a lot and I need to be able to fix it, is another good reason.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

metatron wrote:
Plymtom wrote:

It has a strap cutter, I've had to cut a seatbelt before. Part of a first aid kit as a first responder seems like a good reason to me. Already put it to good use, the cable that connects the bonnet release to the lever in the car came out, so used the screw drivers to remove the panel and then the pliers to put the steel wire back into the plastic holder.

Also my car is a piece of sh*t and breaks a lot and I need to be able to fix it, is another good reason.
Most fire services have banned fire fighters from carrying them, and issued safety cutters/ spring back knives .

might be worth checking with your PCT to see if they are willing to stand behind you and back you up if you "need" it for your job

you'd probably be better with these for first response use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leatherman-Ra ... 3641.l6368
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I used the wire stripper part of my Gerber shard to strip the wire on my tyre pump on sunday, the wire had come of the plug and I just wanted to test the shard really, worked a treat.