Project Powerbox (picture heavy)

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Wales1

Project Powerbox (picture heavy)

Post by Wales1 »

Apoligies for the poor quality pictures. I was using a old mobile phone to take them with.
I decided I needed some kind of semi portable powerbox to charge and run devices such as phones/tablets/radios.

So its a sturdy toolbox with a car battery and everthing else packed in boxes for easy storage

Maplins 12V solar charge panel, Recahrgable battery charger (just so I know where it is), small mulitmeter, and a selaction of tools, connectors and fuses

Aldi inverter, selection of plugs, and the battery mounted and held securely.

Everything fits into the box and the solar panel is bubble wrapped and then sandwiched between a couple of old placemats for safety.

Box closed, showing strurdy carrying handle and solid metal clips.
butterbean

Re: Project Powerbox (picture heavy)

Post by butterbean »

That's awesome, I'm putting this on my list of future projects.
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
Wales1

Post by Wales1 »

Oppps meant to say, the battery has been recondioned using the Epson Salt and Distilled rainwater trick. It seems to hold its charge well enough.
Its got its limitations, i'll not be running a washing machine from a 12v car battery :) but for low wattage devices it mat help if the power goes off.
Kris369

Post by Kris369 »

Fantastic idea and project, the portability is top notch solution! :D

Have a similar idea on the go, using a converted ups to provide 230, 24, 12 and 5v usb power will post when completed.

Have you considered swapping the plastic tool box or placing in a larger sealed metal container, for EMP proofing?

Love engineering DIY solutions. Keep up the great ideas.
Hope for the best, prep for the worst and keep it need to know.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

that panel is rated at 12v 2.4watts which is not doing much at all to charge a battery approximately at .2amps
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Wales1

Post by Wales1 »

no it takes a fair while, its more for topping off charged batteries. Its better than nothing and a high power panel is on my future shopping list.