What are you forever forgetting?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Plymtom

What are you forever forgetting?

Post by Plymtom »

Well over looking may be another way of putting it.
When going to do a bit of archery, I'm a fool for forgetting the arm guard and arrow release,even though I hang them side by side next to the bow, using day's out as a guide, especially as we do several different activities on the same day, filling the car up with all the stuff required, it has become clear that, getting out quick with all that you need is not straight forward.
So prep wise I think we over look water too often and fuel, storing enough (safely and legally in the case of fuel) of both is a major problem I must address, and batteries there's a thing, going along the lines of store what you eat and eat what you store, it's clear that battery shelf life for such expensive items is becoming an issue, I've been considering buying things which will get some use out of batteries as they approach or cross the line of expiry, but what?
So what are you over looking or often forget when off on an outing-prep related?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
pseudonym

Re: What are you forever forgetting?

Post by pseudonym »

I'm forever forgetting that I'm no longer 20 ish.

I need to work smarter not harder to accomplish my goals, hence all the gear.

Let the younglings run around..... where's me rocking chair? :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

pseudonym wrote:I'm forever forgetting that I'm no longer 20 ish.

Too right, my body forgot how to pull a 60lb compound bow, what a shock I got when I couldn't do it twice :lol: building back up now though.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Two things about getting older. The first is you forget things. The second...I'll be bu&&ered if I can remember! :lol:

Seriously though, batteries I overlook too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

pseudonym wrote:I'm forever forgetting that I'm no longer 20 ish.

Tactical Rocking Chair for your BoB ?

In my case I'm forever forgetting that I've already packed one of X and so I end up with about five of them :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We took the dugs away camping for two nights last weekend, lasted one but the main things I forgot were the camping table, only really a big deal because everything was on the ground and therefore dug level. I forgot to take the 13L water carrier I intended to bring, again, not a deal breaker because we were on a campsite and we had a couple of 2L water bottles as well so I had to 'schlep' the 70 yards or so to get more water a couple of times. Much like ForgeCorvus, I had plenty of other stuff like batteries, torches, gas for stoves.

We only lasted the one night because the beasties didn't really settle, it was a fairly busy site and the first time they had been under canvas, because they didn't really settle and me and Her Maj were a bit on tenterhooks so neither us or the dogs 'chi' was in the right place so we bailed on saturday. Plan B is to get them kipping in the tent in the back garden from time to time to acclimatise them, hopefully it works, Her Maj could probably do with a bit of 'reindoctrination' as well. Any advice on either the dogs (or the wife) would be appreciated. ;)
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

To charge my phone before leaving home, thankfully because I am such a nightmare with doing this, I have a charger in the car and I carry two of the portable out and about chargers in my bag, one is being recharged now as I used it up because yep, I forgot to charge the darn phone again... :roll:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Decaff wrote:To charge my phone before leaving home, thankfully because I am such a nightmare with doing this, I have a charger in the car and I carry two of the portable out and about chargers in my bag, one is being recharged now as I used it up because yep, I forgot to charge the darn phone again... :roll:
You're not alone on this one :lol: i have a solar charger thing good enough for phones and cameras, and yes the in car thing too, ass covered yes?

I have a small rucksack that I use for light shopping and wherever I go really, I intend to kit it out with everything I keep forgetting including a charger, and for larger things which would be silly to keep in there all the time, I want a sort of go drawer where all those things can live, I can then habitually look in the go drawer and in theory any of those items should call out to me, it's either that or laminated check list's activities based :?
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Much like Pseudonym, I keep getting sharp reminders that my health has gone down hill in the last few years.

I don't as a rule push myself anymore but sometimes even walking uphill can make leave me breathless and full of chest pain, and thats without carrying anything.

But I still keep looking at backpacks and similar equipment. Although deep down I know if I had to leave my home without the car any pack I was carrying would only benefit the people who took it off me at the end of our road.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Plymtom wrote:
Decaff wrote:To charge my phone before leaving home, thankfully because I am such a nightmare with doing this, I have a charger in the car and I carry two of the portable out and about chargers in my bag, one is being recharged now as I used it up because yep, I forgot to charge the darn phone again... :roll:
You're not alone on this one :lol: i have a solar charger thing good enough for phones and cameras, and yes the in car thing too, ass covered yes?

I have a small rucksack that I use for light shopping and wherever I go really, I intend to kit it out with everything I keep forgetting including a charger, and for larger things which would be silly to keep in there all the time, I want a sort of go drawer where all those things can live, I can then habitually look in the go drawer and in theory any of those items should call out to me, it's either that or laminated check list's activities based :?
So glad I'm not the only one :lol: I haven't got a solar one though, I do have a smaller zipped bag inside my big carry all bag that holds all my must have things and I transfer this from bag to bag as I use them. Thankfully but strangely I don't seem to forget to recharge the portable chargers and these get put into the zipped bag as soon as they're charged and ready for use again.

You can use any small zipped bag and the best ones are the clear plastic travel case type as you can see what's in there without having to get everything out, just a thought for your rucksack. You could have one for the daily must carry stuff and another for the stuff you only sometimes need to carry.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.