Arcteryx?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Pointboy

Arcteryx?

Post by Pointboy »

Hey guys. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with: Arcteryx USMC Marpat ILBE Assault pack 3 Day Backpack. Has anyone on here owned or used any Arcteryx equipment?. I know that these packs are very durable and very rugid, that's why the USMC adopted them but has any here had hands on experience with the pack and know what it's like?. I'm looking for a possible replacement from my normal 5.11 rush 12 pack, as this pack is just not big enough for what I need it for. This arc pack also can be attached to a bigger Bergan, which is the type of pack im looking for. So you have the bergan, then can have a day pack or 24 hour pack attached to the outside. Anyone know of any good packs like that for bugging out with?. Preferably since I am ex military I prefer military kit as im used to that, but I will take suggestions from either a military style or actual military pack or just normal pack. Thanks in advance.
AREA 8 we shall defend our island, what ever the cost may be,we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender.
Captain Darling

Re: Arcteryx?

Post by Captain Darling »

Arcteryx are a really good brand, for all their clothing at least. Its a bit different to 5.11 as its a bit less tactical and more outdoorsy, that being said a lot of the lads use it still. It is pricey but its on very similar levels of quality to Rab/Berghaus.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
alwayscross

Post by alwayscross »

I have had one of there bags, gotta say they are not worth the money. There clothing is really good, keeps you at a nice neutral temperature instead of over heating. If you are going to spend that money you might as well get a TAD gear bag, much more worthy of the money.
Morality is doing what's right, no matter what your told. Religion is doing what your told, no matter what is right.
IfInDoubt

Post by IfInDoubt »

If you are talking arcteryx as a civilian producer of quality outdoor kit then they are pretty good, but not necessarily any better than Rab, 5.11 or even Berghaus. If you are talking more specifically about the ILBE (the USMC FILBE) kit then they are awesome, the durability of the ILBE main pack I have is right up there with any issued kit I've handled and it incorporates design features from the civilian Arc'x pathfinder (IIRC) it was based on such as zip access to the main compartment and a very comfy waist belt.

For the price I don't think they can be beaten - obviously I mean second hand price from 'online auction sites'

Two words of advice though

The assault pack although robust and well designed is pretty small (I'd guess no more than 20 litres) and if you do buy one of the main packs online make sure it is complete - it comes in loads of parts such as main sack, frame, straps, waist belt lids, hydration cover etc etc and these are not necessarily included

HTH
Rogers: "Stark, we need a plan of attack"
Stark: "I have a plan; ATTACK!"

A man without at least one sharp pointy thing and the ability to start a fire is just a cold whining hairless ape