Fallkniven F1 - UK carry?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dangerman

Fallkniven F1 - UK carry?

Post by dangerman »

I know there must be similar questions on the board somewhere, and I've googled it too. But sifting is not reassuring me and I was hoping some of you good folk would clarify this for me.

I've just been given a lovely Fallkniven F1 3" knife, full tang. My father-in-law doesn't compromise on quality and he bought me the best knife I've ever owned. Expensive! But what can I do with it? Knife law is an arse, I know.

I'm presuming that I can't take this with me everywhere in my EDC - or can I? It's only three inches cutting edge, the same as my SAK.

If not, it would just go into my G.O.O.D./camping bag - yes? Reason for carry is that I'm using it while I'm moving from one place to another - just transporting it. Or I'm camping or bugging and need it as a camping/cooking/cutting tool. Am I right?
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
featherstick

Re: Fallkniven F1 - UK carry?

Post by featherstick »

Fixed blade - not legal EDC.

Other instances would depend on circumstances. If you claimed it was part of your camping kit, an officer would expect to see you carrying a rucksack with a tent and sleeping bag, and be en route to a campsite. If you were on the High Street at 11pm it would be difficult to make that argument.

Nice knife though.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Good call, thanks man. I'll make sure to attach my sleeping bag to the bag - there is an emergency shelter in there and what not. Plus fishing gear. That way I could at least show that it's there as a kit.

I'll stick up some more posts soon. Got some other kit to show off too. I love my American in-laws. :D
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

British Blades forum has a good discussion on legal carry in the UK. Basically you can carry anything so long as you have a plausible reason which can be evidenced. You could carry a mace if you're a member of a re-enactment society on the way to an event, for instance, but even if you were a member of a re-enactment society, waving a mace around a pub carpark would still get you nicked.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Yeah, it's madness isn't it? They make rules based on random ignorance rather than common sense. They should make a law that before a law is put in place it is consulted with the relevant communities. Democratically. Since this is apparently a democracy.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

I don't agree, you can carry anything you want. As long as you have a decent reason, and can prove it.

It would be madness if you let everyone carry everything they wanted.

We (reasonably sane) people realise a a knife or an axe is a tool, to used and carried correctly and safely as it has the potential to harm if not.

Others sadly don't, these are the people the police will stop, search, sieze and sentence.

I would have no qualms about being stopped by a bobby and being asked why I have any of my blades on me, I carry each one of them for a different reason. My big, fixed blade knife is on my belt kit as I'm a soldier, I use it on exercise at home and abroad and have taken it on Operations overseas. My lock knife is in my uniform pocket, as I need a safe blade at work. I have a leatherman in my car glove box as it has hex driver and screwdrivers and a sub 3 inch, non locking blade.

The police have a job to do, to keep us safe from numpties who should, but don't, know better.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

An enticing argument you have there me olde sausage. I agree that there needs to be restrictions.

But when it comes to me, a grown up, who would like to keep a knife in the boot of his car for the sake of 'just in case' (and not just in case I feel the need to stab someone, I could use a bottle or a sharp stick for that), I think the law should make clear that it's ok. I don't think I should have to have a reason to have a basic tool at my disposal - something that since the dawn of human kind has been the thing that separates him from the animals.

It worries me that we aren't allowed to have knives in our cars or in our kits. I had a knife as a kid, I knew how to treat it responsibly. It was my right of passage. But now no kid is allowed a knife.

As a nation, the British are being de-skilled.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

The latest Knife law was a Labour Knee Jerk reation to Knife Crime. The said Knife crime led to a panic. The laws only good point was the age restriction, it was typical knee jerk reaction in that it is poorly drafted with no real thought to the issues https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-bu ... ry-a-knife
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I quite like the fact that bobbies on the beat have discretion, a mate uses a fixed blade for fishing its in his fishing kit which he carries in his car, and over on British Blades we have a ask a cop section, where he said that in those circumstances my mate is fine.

But saying that it is a pain about lock knives and its not even what I call proper law, it never went before parliament , its just case law (Harris I think) where a clever lawyer successfully argued that a lock knife was a fixed blade when open.......................
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Yes its statute law which "technically" requires consent, try arguing that with your local bobby though! I never carry a fixed blade in public unless I'm going out on a shoot (in which case I'm carrying a gun for **** sake) however I do carry ONLY when I need to use it, my locking 3" Cold Steel Voyager, I would like to carry it as my EDC as its my favourite tool but it just isn't worth the aggro if stopped and searched.

My mum had her throat cut by a smackhead last summer so I can understand the restrictions but small locking knife should be 100% legal in my eyes.