Looking for a water pump

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
korolev

Looking for a water pump

Post by korolev »

I have several water butts around the garden (and looking to add more if I can blag them) which I need to move water between depending on circumstances so I'm looking for a pump.
Don't want a submersible as the main water butt is big old unit and need it to be self priming.
So, what ya got ?
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Looking for a water pump

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Guy on the allotment had a Bosch one used drill batteries

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-GardenPu ... ljaz10cnVl
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
korolev

Post by korolev »

That one looks like you have to dunk it in the water butt, was hoping for one you can plug a hose in to.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I know what you said in the OP , but I use a submersible- had it for years. No problem.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
shocker

Post by shocker »

Distance? Header height? How about old fashion hydraulic ram if there's any flow nearby. No chance of Syphon?

There used to be solar power fountain units...could some be daisy ?chained
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

korolev wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:48 pm I have several water butts around the garden (and looking to add more if I can blag them) which I need to move water between depending on circumstances so I'm looking for a pump.
Don't want a submersible as the main water butt is big old unit and need it to be self priming.
So, what ya got ?
We use a submersible, about £35 off amazon, something like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Duty-Ele ... 07P739G15/

Powerful enough to drive a sprinkler. Never ceases to amaze me that you can dump something mains powered into a water butt.

Before that we abused a cheap pressure washer. But that didn't like running dry.

Since you are only 'moving water' between butts, is speed an issue? Would a simple drill powered pump do? About ten quid on amazon.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
British Red

Post by British Red »

korolev wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:48 pm I have several water butts around the garden (and looking to add more if I can blag them) which I need to move water between depending on circumstances so I'm looking for a pump.
So, what ya got ?
The hozelock above ground pump is ideal for this. It has a built in filter and is hozelock (standard garden hose fitting) compatible.

ImageHozelock Pump by British Red, on Flickr

As well as being able to draw water from water butts and tanks it can manage 3m of lift from our well and can lift water 5m making it ideal for moving water, pressurising a sprinkler or hose.

ImageWell pump by British Red, on Flickr