Knives - in trouble with the police!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman
Posts: 9956
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Knives - in trouble with the police!

Post by jansman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:43 pm

korolev wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:13 pm
In a situation like this I always advise people to take legal advice from a solicitor; many of us on here will have very good intentions and varying levels of experience (I was a magistrate for 9 years) but we are not legally qualified.
Sound advice indeed.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 5787
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Knives - in trouble with the police!

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:38 pm

jansman wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:43 pm
korolev wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:13 pm
In a situation like this I always advise people to take legal advice from a solicitor; many of us on here will have very good intentions and varying levels of experience (I was a magistrate for 9 years) but we are not legally qualified.
Sound advice indeed.

If you have decent home insurance you'll often find they have a legal expenses cover many offer free no no obligation advice for the cost of a phone call
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

preparedsurrey
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:33 pm
Location: Area 3

Re: Knives - in trouble with the police!

Post by preparedsurrey » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:26 pm

This should give a snapshot of the knife i ordered. Can't use my scanner at the moment due to more PC problems :(

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.h ... 3018072566

Which unless i'm missing something is completely UK legal to possess and indeed carry in a public place with a valid reason which "its a work tool" (i'm a carpenter they get abused daily!) certainly is. Can't see how border control deem it a flick knife.

We never got to see anything till the interview - I assumed that something completely different to what had been ordered had been posted, even then it was just a photo like the one above, no detail of how they were classing it as a flick knife.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....

User avatar
jennyjj01
Posts: 980
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Re: Knives - in trouble with the police!

Post by jennyjj01 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:29 am

preparedsurrey wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:26 pm
This should give a snapshot of the knife i ordered. Can't use my scanner at the moment due to more PC problems :(

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.h ... 3018072566

Which unless i'm missing something is completely UK legal to possess and indeed carry in a public place with a valid reason which "its a work tool" (i'm a carpenter they get abused daily!) certainly is. Can't see how border control deem it a flick knife.

We never got to see anything till the interview - I assumed that something completely different to what had been ordered had been posted, even then it was just a photo like the one above, no detail of how they were classing it as a flick knife.
Hi, that page requires a log in.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Free hug vouchers. Please take one and copy and redistribute as often as you like.
Redeemable on demand.

User avatar
shocker
Posts: 667
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:39 pm
Location: cornwall, near england

Re: Knives - in trouble with the police!

Post by shocker » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:05 am

I had same problem. Even though I have an account with that site, the OPs details were wanted. ...I think.

So, rather than post your log in or the like (as if!), how about a screenshot or Google images? Most of those designs are knock offs of name brands, or close enough to get the point across.

This all has got me worried. I am waiting on a lockblade from the far East. Not a flick, switch, auto or anything like. But still...

I have hand dexterity problems and small folders are tricky for me to open, plus the blades can close on my fingers if not locked. Cos I is clumsy, innit :( :oops:

I don't know if my reason for having would wash nowadays as I am semi retired due to disabilities I still do bits around the farm, laying hedges and fruit tree grafting for example, where a sturdy sharp knife of a decent size is truly necessary.

But having dealt with HMRC (and more recently BF) quite a few times over the years, logic and even facts carry little weight.

Sadly, legal advice sounds like the way. I'm not looking forward to it.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***

User avatar
shocker
Posts: 667
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:39 pm
Location: cornwall, near england

Re: Knives - in trouble with the police!

Post by shocker » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:13 am

preparedsurrey wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:26 pm
no detail of how they were classing it as a flick knife.
Would this happen to be a spyderco type with a thumbhole or with another type of one hand opening helper on the blade?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***

preparedsurrey
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:33 pm
Location: Area 3

Re: Knives - in trouble with the police!

Post by preparedsurrey » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:36 am

shocker wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:13 am
preparedsurrey wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:26 pm
no detail of how they were classing it as a flick knife.
Would this happen to be a spyderco type with a thumbhole or with another type of one hand opening helper on the blade?
Thumb stud on the blade
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....

User avatar
korolev
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:18 am
Location: Land of the South Saxons

Re: Knives - in trouble with the police!

Post by korolev » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:41 am

shocker wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:05 am
I have hand dexterity problems and small folders are tricky for me to open, plus the blades can close on my fingers if not locked. Cos I is clumsy, innit :( :oops:

I don't know if my reason for having would wash nowadays as I am semi retired due to disabilities I still do bits around the farm, laying hedges and fruit tree grafting for example, where a sturdy sharp knife of a decent size is truly necessary.
If you are stopped in the street going to/from work and have the knife, then I would say you have a good reason to have it. If it's found on you when you are five pints to the better in a queue for a nightclub or football ground you'd have a much harder time ("I forgot it was in my pocket" doesn't carry a lot of weight).
If it's in a bag with other tools that would add to your case.
You also need to consider whether you're likely to get stopped by OB; if you're a black teenager in inner London then you're much more likely than a middle aged white feller in a provincial town. In rural areas it's almost unheard of for people to be stopped and searched.

Post Reply