Signal flares

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Easternwind

Signal flares

Post by Easternwind »

Hi folks whats everyones thoughts on signal flares/ smoke bombs - have you got them or used them
Everyday is a good day when you are the right side of the grass
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Signal flares

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

They have their uses but have a short ISH life in storage..

They are classified as explosives like fire works

It's illegal to discharge them unless life at risk et all...

Day to day not needed but those who sail ( Solas requirements )or go hill walking if you can justify the weight and hope someone else will actually see it.

As a hang up the helicopter pilot will like smoke as he arrives as it shows wind direction and strength but you need finding first ..

But a decent xenon or led strobe has the advantage as it's multi shot so to speak it and be used continuous until the batteries give up eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/233708430297?c ... 0EQAvD_BwE

Screenshot_20201024-180431.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Wot Andy says.

I have the exact Strobe in that picture, white blue and infra-red. Takes AA batteries.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:00 am Woy Andy says.

I have the exact Strobe in that picture, white blue and infra-red. Takes AA batteries.
Infrared comes in handy used it in anger when an assault happened outside our house I've got contacts at the local CCTV monitoring centre quick phone call ..
point your camera on the mast in the council rec on "any street" at the rail bridge and look for the flash in the bay window and pan down (attacker or victim never knew what got them locked up (with CCTV footage) or help so fast without putting me or my family at risk or exposing my position The guys at CCTV place don't mind as good intel makes them look good :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Bird scarers are good legal and range from big bang to smaller ones also comes with fuse .
Just for fun only you could if no one or property was in danger light fuse and place plastic bag full of something over charge for a bigger bang.
Fill er up jacko...
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

Vitamin c wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:53 am light fuse and place plastic bag full of something over charge for a bigger bang.
I would strongly discourage anyone from doing this unless you've recieved training in the use of pyrotechnics.

While serving in the RAF I saw a demonstration as to why this is a bad idea, a Sargeant set off a thunderflash just laying on the ground which went off with a satisfying bang, he then set off a second one which he covered with a metal bin lid, when this one went off it threw the lid a good twenty feet into the air.

Confining any explosive charge no matter how small is potentially very dangerous.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Pete_59 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:52 pm
Vitamin c wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:53 am light fuse and place plastic bag full of something over charge for a bigger bang.
I would strongly discourage anyone from doing this unless you've recieved training in the use of pyrotechnics.

While serving in the RAF I saw a demonstration as to why this is a bad idea, a Sargeant set off a thunderflash just laying on the ground which went off with a satisfying bang, he then set off a second one which he covered with a metal bin lid, when this one went off it threw the lid a good twenty feet into the air.

Confining any explosive charge no matter how small is potentially very dangerous.
Any rapidly expanding gas when constrained behaves more violently. That’s the very nature of explosives and bullets and bombs and fireworks and engines etc.

Petrol, for example, when a few drops are put onto a mat, will burn with a lazy yellow flame. Put the same amount in a coke can and boom! Ditto diesel. You could drop a lit match into a puddle of diesel and it will go out. Compress the same diesel into a small space and boom! (50:1 compression ratio and you have and engine!)
Username

Post by Username »

Personal Locator Beacons can be used on land now they cost around 300 quid with usually about a 7 year battery life
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

My son does Airsoft and the number of thunder flashes and smoke grenades they go through is unreal. Cool to watch though when it's going on towards dusk.
Even the small smoke ones they use burn very hot once going - they had a fire last week.
Occasionally one member brings expired marine smoke things to use which apparently make smoke for a good half hour. I would have thought of you needed to signal these world be the ones to use but they are both large and heavy.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....