solar/hand crank radio/charger recommendations

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Erik

solar/hand crank radio/charger recommendations

Post by Erik »

Hi,
I'm looking for recommendations please for a radio/USB charger combo that can be powered from solar/hand crank. There's quite a few on amazon, but all have very mixed reviews. Any reviews that mention solar suggest that they doubt if the solar panels in the radios are even connected, or words to that effect. Freeplay don't seem to be around any more. Going off amazon seems to yield the same suspects as on amazon.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer one with DAB and willing to pay more for a larger battery, but will settle for less if the solar/crank/radio/charger work.

Thanks in advance,
Erik
Yorkshire Andy

Re: solar/hand crank radio/charger recommendations

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Erik wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:05 pm Hi,
I'm looking for recommendations please for a radio/USB charger combo that can be powered from solar/hand crank. There's quite a few on amazon, but all have very mixed reviews. Any reviews that mention solar suggest that they doubt if the solar panels in the radios are even connected, or words to that effect. Freeplay don't seem to be around any more. Going off amazon seems to yield the same suspects as on amazon.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer one with DAB and willing to pay more for a larger battery, but will settle for less if the solar/crank/radio/charger work.

Thanks in advance,
Erik

Welcome to the forum will you please post an introduction in our new members section :

viewforum.php?f=9

On the subject of radios it's a hard one

Dab is power hungry Vs FM/ AM and the frequencys are unique to the UK region so not much available in the grand scheme of things

The solar on most "survival" radios are ok for keeping them topped up charge wise on a sunny windowsill in the spare bedroom but not big enough for constant solar charging unless your only using it a few minutes a day to listen to the mid day news...

Same with the hand crank... Yes you'll get a few minutes of listening for 10 minutes steady winding but good god you'd have to be desperate...

Better option possibly would be a decent usb solar charger and a relevant usb power bank or charger and spare rechargeable batteries

Or a standalone solar charger / 12v charger to charge batteries off the car for example

Or make your own radio which doesn't need batteries or power....
https://youtu.be/8XR9Uzy2RPM
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

I agree with Andy, hand cranked radios don't work well as a radio and are prone to breaking quickly.

Go with a small solar panel with USB output and you can charge a power bank or AA/AAA batteries, something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194078925750 ... Sw9mBgi8D2

For a radio you want FM/AM but shortwave is very handy because there are a lot of English speaking stations you may pick up. Here is a small basic radio that works surprisingly well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284402131409 ... Swo2ZhCofE

Feel free to ask questions and welcome aboard.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I bought a raddy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SW3-4000mAh-Em ... 3030818013

All I can say is it works .. but it's nowt special sound quality is naff very flat sounding the frequency indicator is about 5 to 10mhz out .

I prefer my Lidl dab pocket radio which cost about £18.. or the more basic lidl multiband

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Andy, try the Tecsun and you'll see a difference I think.
Richard
South Wales UK
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

rik_uk3 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:57 pm Andy, try the Tecsun and you'll see a difference I think.
Most of the time I've got the old car headunit and 2 Sony surround sound speakers I got out of a skip speakers in my shed off my 12v set up on it cost me nothing in the grand scheme of things :lol:

At work I've got my rugged site dab radio the Lidl pocket ones are back up of a backup :lol:

rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

I can sit in my radio shack and talk to another ham in Brazil but can't get Radio 1 on DAB the signal is so bad here LOL. Online checkers say coverage here is good but its crap, 4G maps say I should only get 3G but get a great 4G signal. I get Radio 4 on FM in the shack and kitchen which is the station I mostly listen to; I suppose I should rig up an antenna.
Richard
South Wales UK