What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:20 pm I have to report a massive prepping fail :( I'm back from my petsitting gig (hence the blizzard of posts from me today, sorry!) and the unexpected happened, and I needed to pay for a taxi to the vet. Erm, I hadn't brought any money with me. Nothing at all :oops: :oops: :oops: luckily I keep my debit card and credit card with my phone, so I used contactless payment, and if they hadn't accepted that, I could have doglegged to a bank to use their atm, but really. Appalling. This is the reason I became a prepper, in truth, because sometimes I'm **incredibly** careless, just pottering along and potentially twisting in the wind. Gulp.
Tut Tut Tut go stand in the corner with the cone of Shame on your head :mrgreen:

I've got £20 on my car keys and another £20 on my house keys in one of these sort of things

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184196432039 ... SwATpeXlDp
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

**shuffles away from the corner, treading quietly on the Cone of Shame** :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I've got some of those little keyring things - I bought half a dozen for a fiver or something. Two of them are attached to keyrings, and I've done a clingfilm twist of a couple of aspirin, to be taken in relation to heart problems. I really, really need an EDC again - not had one during the entire pandemic, because I haven't been anywhere, but I need a list, at least, of things to collect quickly. At least I'm almost unpacked, and I'm sort of ready to dig in to the Things To Do tomorrow.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:41 pm
Arzosah wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:20 pm I have to report a massive prepping fail :( I'm back from my petsitting gig (hence the blizzard of posts from me today, sorry!) and the unexpected happened, and I needed to pay for a taxi to the vet. Erm, I hadn't brought any money with me. Nothing at all :oops: :oops: :oops: luckily I keep my debit card and credit card with my phone, so I used contactless payment, and if they hadn't accepted that, I could have doglegged to a bank to use their atm, but really. Appalling. This is the reason I became a prepper, in truth, because sometimes I'm **incredibly** careless, just pottering along and potentially twisting in the wind. Gulp.
Tut Tut Tut go stand in the corner with the cone of Shame on your head :mrgreen:

I've got £20 on my car keys and another £20 on my house keys in one of these sort of things

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184196432039 ... SwATpeXlDp
I've got one of those too.
I worked out the easiest way to roll a Twenty is to fold up the bottom quarter width, fold down the top quarter width (making it half as wide as it was), fold the length in half and then roll from the fold to the ends.......That way you get a cylinder rather then a cone.

The Plastic notes mean I can only fit one Twenty, with the old rag notes I could get two in there.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Been buying a few odds and sods added a couple more battery Lanterns and torches to the pile , new leisure battery is sat in the shed fully charged awaiting it's new 50w solar panel to keep it topped up and give me extra charging capacity currently got 60w of panels on the shed for the other battery which does the shed and garden lights I can link this extra one into the charge controller giving me a decent 110w of charging capacity or run it solo charging up a separate battery..

Got a few more packs of alkaline batteries to the pile too and 25 white 12hour glow sticks

Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Mainly bits of life admin. I got an email from the letting agent asking if I want to renew my tenancy at the end of April (bit early that!) and I decided to go for it. I can't move again so soon as I can't afford it, there's nothing suitable that I can afford out there, and frankly the stress of the whole thing would make me ill and turn me into a wheezing ruin. The landlord has ok'd it too (and doesn't seem to have raised the rent - woohoo!) so if nothing goes wrong I'll be here till the end of April 2023. It's a relief to know I have some stability for a bit. It also means I can start planning some more small scale veg growing in planters again and get things in soil earlier than last year!

My first credit card in well over a decade arrived today. I was very wary of applying for another card as the last time I had one I got into trouble with them and it took a looooong time to pay it all off. But I need to improve my credit score and it would be reassuring to have an 'oh my god it's an emergency!' resource. It'll get used for paying for petrol and will be paid off in full each month.

I'm also in ongoing talks with Mum to let me set up a power of attorney for her. I already do a lot of what's under power of attorney, but have the actual power of attorney would make it a lot easier.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Le Mouse wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:08 pm Mainly bits of life admin. I got an email from the letting agent asking if I want to renew my tenancy at the end of April (bit early that!) and I decided to go for it. I can't move again so soon as I can't afford it, there's nothing suitable that I can afford out there, and frankly the stress of the whole thing would make me ill and turn me into a wheezing ruin. The landlord has ok'd it too (and doesn't seem to have raised the rent - woohoo!) so if nothing goes wrong I'll be here till the end of April 2023. It's a relief to know I have some stability for a bit. It also means I can start planning some more small scale veg growing in planters again and get things in soil earlier than last year!

My first credit card in well over a decade arrived today. I was very wary of applying for another card as the last time I had one I got into trouble with them and it took a looooong time to pay it all off. But I need to improve my credit score and it would be reassuring to have an 'oh my god it's an emergency!' resource. It'll get used for paying for petrol and will be paid off in full each month.

I'm also in ongoing talks with Mum to let me set up a power of attorney for her. I already do a lot of what's under power of attorney, but have the actual power of attorney would make it a lot easier.
Congratulations on staying put and no rent increase and the growing too! Do get the Power of Attorney sorted as soon as you can. Once my husband got this we thought it would be much easier, however the banks took their time to sort everything out and we are still having some issues with online banking and the bank declining various transactions etc. I would also recommend keeping a note and receipts of any transactions from your Mum's account as if you need to get Social Care involved they are vicious about money leaving the account if they have a responsibility for any care costs.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stocked up on red diesel today 95ppl from the local boat yard that's the back up heating good for a few days (uses 500ml per hour on full)

Next up is fill a Jerry can with unleaded (need it for the allotment season plus handy for the generator if the lights go out )

Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Medusa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:37 pm I would also recommend keeping a note and receipts of any transactions from your Mum's account as if you need to get Social Care involved they are vicious about money leaving the account if they have a responsibility for any care costs.
Good tip, thanks :)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Made a start of bottoming the master bedroom for decorating wish I hadn't started :lol:

Repaired the bed (stop sniggering) one of the laths that support and tie the two sides snapped about 30 minutes after I built it at the end of last year finally had chance to visit the wood shop and got some cut to length... It's been bodged with a telescopic roller pole for about a month and the boss lady never got round to complaining about it to the shop .. this new bit won't snap it's twice the width and thickness of the original least it got me to be able to justify the new impact driver screw gun to the boss :mrgreen: :roll:

Managed to stash more stuff under the bed whilst it was easy to do it and in bits (buddy LPG heater / blackout kit / other associated kit which isn't needed day to day but is accessible if needed without too much drama....

Checked the car over too was a cold night last night glad I've got decent coolant in it the engine coolant Temperature was -2°c at 11am this morning when I jumped In it which is flipping cold and the temperature sensor is deep in the engine bay .....

Need to start planning this year's allotment antics still got 2 rows of spuds to dig up but since the start of autumn we've not had a spell when it's been dry enough to lift them

Also got myself a funky battery monitor which uses Bluetooth to send data to your mobile including low voltage alerts to go on my shed solar rig

DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

;) ;) At the moment just trying to get through January, a quiet month at work so we lose hours.
Used to have loads of space to store preps of various sorts but had no money to buy some of the things I wanted, now divorced I have the money but no space :roll:

I wouldn’t mind getting food and alternative heating/cooking stuff sorted, this Russia/Ukraine thing is getting a bit of a worry as we get so much of our gas from Russia. What’s everyone’s thoughts on that?

Sorry I’ve been noticeably absent from the forum but tying to get my new gf into the prep mindset, it’s proving very difficult. 😅
Up in the wet South Lakeland