What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Best thing for the fridge / freezer is wrap in any spare duvet / sleeping bags / blankets just unplug it first so if the power comes back on the pump doesn't overheat...

That said unplug everything the power been reconnected can cause big surges or even major mistakes caused by the linesmen can bang part of 415v down domestic lines which can fry electronics and most modern fridges like most things have plenty of electronics in them .... Went to an estate where the power workers had connected a phase to negative which blew most stuff in every house that was plugged in at the time

Just leave a light turned on so you know when the grid is back up and running give it 5 minutes then plug everything back in
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I should have remembered to unplug! We lost a TV that way many years ago so I do know better.
Thankfully all seems OK this time.
Andy The empty stove is in the loft, cartridges and canisters are in the shed. I don't like the temperatures the loft can reach either
shocker

Post by shocker »

Salutary advice, we lost half a ton of our own farms frozen meat when a sparks brought in when I was away fried all our freezers and didn't bother to tell...or maybe he didn't realise.

Still lost all our meat stocks though.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Anything with eight legs. NO DANGER of me going up there. :shock: And I'm not just mad keen on bats either..
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have been accused of having bats in my belfry - but none in the loft. I dont see many spiders up there either They prefer the warmth of the main rooms. We did have wasps when we first moved in but those were evicted long ago and have not returned. No evidence of any critters at all up there really. The shed is a bigger worry - we have to keep mouse traps baited down there as we have had them move in and eat all my grass seed before now.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Your mice, Gilly, eat grass seed, mine (in the house) eat toilet rolls. Well, they gave them a good chew. Swapped the storage places of toilet rolls and soap powder and haven't noticed them eating the soap powder.
Prepping fail: spring (?) cleaning the kitchen and noticed 2 bags of unopened, in date, flour had gone mouldy. Ah, the joys of living in a Victorian farmhouse. I know one of our cupboards is damp so only store non-perishables in there but will have to keep an eye on the other cupboards too.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

They were probably using the loo roll as nest bedding. I was cheesed off when I realised I had left a couple of packets of seed in the greenhouse by mistake and they chewed through the plastic to eat all my pak choi.
I have had them indoors before in other properties.
The training centre one was fun. The screams were quite something when the teenage girls realised mice had been eating the snacks they had hidden under the bed.
This was closely followed by investment in traps/poison and in metal biscuit tins for storage.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Rat and mouse bait,traps and bait points are a part of my preps. Keeping animals always draws vermin ,and I am ever conscious of my neighbours blaming me for any infestation.I even keep a record ( like I have to at work). Mice especially,can creep in unnoticed and do so much damage to our storage.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

We have 2x mouse and rat worriers they work we usually get half a mouse or parts of a rat on the door step as a gift / proof they are working :lol: :lol:

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

We have 2x mouse and rat worriers they work we usually get half a mouse or parts of a rat on the door step as a gift / proof they are working :lol: :lol: