What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

shocker wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:17 pm From the point of view of the farmer, the increase in prices is covered by one word...FUEL.

Whether it's tractor, heat/light or lorry the increase in fuel price is harsh.

As far as the distributor goes, I couldn't say. That's my opinion anyway, Andy. But having had to buy straw in winter, I know that the prices can be usurious.

Know a few years ago the power stations were buying it up as well to burn as bio mass... You don't often see scrap wood been given away anymore it's a saleable commodity now to be turned into wood pellets for bio mass were there's muck there's brass :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
shocker

Post by shocker »

Now then! Aye, youth...

...and other northern clichés. In my defence, my mum's from Grimsby :tinfoil
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

One of my neighbours seems to cut down lots of trees, must be a self-trained tree surgeon (ahem ...) he drops them off with another neighbour at a quarter of the usual price, and when the neighbour saws up his stock, he puts all the sawdust into old washing up bowls and puts them on my step - I must have had 15 or 20 bowls by now :) Just a nice way to add bulk and organic matter into my soil, which is very heavy.

And I've just thought ... I'm rabbit-sitting for a week, and taking it much more seriously than the last time I did it, which was just a bit of a laugh 4 years ago or so. Nowadays, I'm consciously learning about rabbit behaviour, and what they need to keep them healthy. I daren't tell my family, because this one is a much-loved pet, but that knowledge is surely transferable to rabbits raised for meat?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:03 pm One of my neighbours seems to cut down lots of trees, must be a self-trained tree surgeon (ahem ...) he drops them off with another neighbour at a quarter of the usual price, and when the neighbour saws up his stock, he puts all the sawdust into old washing up bowls and puts them on my step - I must have had 15 or 20 bowls by now :) Just a nice way to add bulk and organic matter into my soil, which is very heavy.

And I've just thought ... I'm rabbit-sitting for a week, and taking it much more seriously than the last time I did it, which was just a bit of a laugh 4 years ago or so. Nowadays, I'm consciously learning about rabbit behaviour, and what they need to keep them healthy. I daren't tell my family, because this one is a much-loved pet, but that knowledge is surely transferable to rabbits raised for meat?
And this butcher keeps rabbits for meat. Understanding animal behaviour is crucial to good husbandry.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm glad you agree, jansman, it's a foreign area for me. But if it was a question of survival to rear and eat my own rabbits, I wouldn't have any problem at all with it.

Oh, just want to add to my post about the sawn wood/sawdust/neighbours thing: my contribution is to give the neighbour a *very* nice bottle of red wine :lol: there's nothing practical I can do for him except what I already do separately, which is to store one of his bins on my front yard :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:59 pm I'm glad you agree, jansman, it's a foreign area for me. But if it was a question of survival to rear and eat my own rabbits, I wouldn't have any problem at all with it.

Oh, just want to add to my post about the sawn wood/sawdust/neighbours thing: my contribution is to give the neighbour a *very* nice bottle of red wine :lol: there's nothing practical I can do for him except what I already do separately, which is to store one of his bins on my front yard :)
One interacts with one’s neighbour as one can.all good deeds are noted.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Tommywoodsman

Post by Tommywoodsman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:50 pm
shocker wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:17 pm From the point of view of the farmer, the increase in prices is covered by one word...FUEL.

Whether it's tractor, heat/light or lorry the increase in fuel price is harsh.

As far as the distributor goes, I couldn't say. That's my opinion anyway, Andy. But having had to buy straw in winter, I know that the prices can be usurious.

Know a few years ago the power stations were buying it up as well to burn as bio mass... You don't often see scrap wood been given away anymore it's a saleable commodity now to be turned into wood pellets for bio mass were there's muck there's brass :mrgreen:

A few weeks ago at work a fella was raiding the skip on site. Thought it’d be the usual looking for metal, he was taking wood :lol:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Grant of probate for my Father's Estate have started to release moneys paid out for the Funeral. Withdrew it from the Bank back into my Cash stash.....

My levels are back up to what I feel comfortable with for now, good job too my palms were itching :? :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Leisure battery that powers my diesel heater has decided to die..... Halfords tomorrow it is (I've got a trade card and their weekend staff don't quibble on any returns ... To be fair their batteries usually last the warranty period + ;) sisters car has had one on for 7 years and still going strong ( kiss of death saying that)

Really can't complain the battery came from the original pair of leisure batteries in my wooden inverter box project (I killed it's brother leaving it turned on years ago) from 2014 so it owes me nothing

Tomorrow it's off to the scrap merchant with a couple of old batteries might get £10 ish for them both
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I have to report a massive prepping fail :( I'm back from my petsitting gig (hence the blizzard of posts from me today, sorry!) and the unexpected happened, and I needed to pay for a taxi to the vet. Erm, I hadn't brought any money with me. Nothing at all :oops: :oops: :oops: luckily I keep my debit card and credit card with my phone, so I used contactless payment, and if they hadn't accepted that, I could have doglegged to a bank to use their atm, but really. Appalling. This is the reason I became a prepper, in truth, because sometimes I'm **incredibly** careless, just pottering along and potentially twisting in the wind. Gulp.