What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

DustyDog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:14 pm ;) ;) At the moment just trying to get through January, a quiet month at work so we lose hours.
Used to have loads of space to store preps of various sorts but had no money to buy some of the things I wanted, now divorced I have the money but no space :roll:

I wouldn’t mind getting food and alternative heating/cooking stuff sorted, this Russia/Ukraine thing is getting a bit of a worry as we get so much of our gas from Russia. What’s everyone’s thoughts on that?

Sorry I’ve been noticeably absent from the forum but tying to get my new gf into the prep mindset, it’s proving very difficult. 😅

Welcome back to the mad house commiserations / congratulations ;) :mrgreen:

The whole energy drama is going to be interesting if you've had a scout round recent posts you'll know mine and fellow co mod jansmans musings. . It's potentially going to get lively especially if Putin goes Into Ukraine..

That and the French nuclear power plant shut downs due to faulty Cooling systems / cracked welds .

And today's revolutionary findings that drax produced less co2 burning dinosaur remains than wood pellets before taking into account sailing chopped up trees from the yon side of America

If your after compact cooking kit I'd go for the humble if crappy bistro stoves the cartridges can be found everywhere from Argos to B&M bargains to go outdoors and even supermarkets in summer

https://www.millets.co.uk/15895048/camp ... lsrc=aw.ds

Then this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camp-70656-Ada ... 9725&psc=1

2 birds one stone and that... Not ideal but you get the gist safe stable and easily stored in a cupboard and not overly prepper unlike a wood gas stove Kelly kettle or a randomised eBay backpacker gas burner as lots of nutters on here have them :lol: :lol:. Next to get the new dusty lady Into camping a couple of sleeping bags that zip together ;) and a small tent there's a cheap weekend away and extra bedding / warmth without looking totally mad then you can get lanterns / extra gas / roll mats camping food / power banks as your fancying a romantic weekend away in the hills :twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yep,what Yorkshire Andy said. We have a couple of those bistro stoves ,and they do the job.At some point this year they will earn their keep as me and eldest daughters chap are going to replace our kitchen,which will be a weeks job.

And his comment about Drax Power prompted me to have a look!

The 'green' row over the UK's largest renewable power plant https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59546281
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:12 am Yep,what Yorkshire Andy said. We have a couple of those bistro stoves ,and they do the job.At some point this year they will earn their keep as me and eldest daughters chap are going to replace our kitchen,which will be a weeks job.

And his comment about Drax Power prompted me to have a look!

The 'green' row over the UK's largest renewable power plant https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59546281
Lidl have twin ring hot plates in for £20 at the moment might be more economical for the kitchen refit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geepas-Flexibl ... C84&sr=8-6

Gold standard Is the induction hot plates lent my single ring one out to a friend who's doing a rift at the moment

Not lending my double out though that's MINE :twisted: it fits the Aldi camp kitchen well too
Screenshot_20220116-095926.png

rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jansman

Post by jansman »

rik_uk3 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:59 pm Very good price for 48 cans

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/xxl/nixe-tuna-case/p49194
Very good. Thanks for telling us.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Well we have just had a little bit of practice. Power went out shortly after i'd finished work for the day. Only out for a couple of hours but it was enough to test a few bits and bobs. Andy will tell me I'm a beginner!

Prepping fail- I couldnt find my head torch.
Prepping success:
I knew how to report the power outage on the UK Power networks website by mobile phone (which still worked) and the torch built into a woolly hat gadgets I got the sons for Christmas and worked well for jobs needing both handsand were nice and warm.
Lessons learned:
Tape the fridge and freezer door shut with some gaffer tape to stop thoughtless sons opening the fridge repeatedly even though they "knew" they were supposed to be kept shut.
Put the bistro stove & kettle somewhere easier to reach. I knew where it all was but it wasnt much fun poking about with a torch in the loft.
FInd that head torch.
Make sure i have a really easy meal for 4 ready to roll so I don't have to think in the first throws of an outage. (The neighbours all just got takeaways since it was a small are outage but we dont have that luxury because of food intolerances)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:41 pm Well we have just had a little bit of practice. Power went out shortly after i'd finished work for the day. Only out for a couple of hours but it was enough to test a few bits and bobs. Andy will tell me I'm a beginner!

Prepping fail- I couldnt find my head torch.
Prepping success:
I knew how to report the power outage on the UK Power networks website by mobile phone (which still worked) and the torch built into a woolly hat gadgets I got the sons for Christmas and worked well for jobs needing both handsand were nice and warm.
Lessons learned:
Tape the fridge and freezer door shut with some gaffer tape to stop thoughtless sons opening the fridge repeatedly even though they "knew" they were supposed to be kept shut.
Put the bistro stove & kettle somewhere easier to reach. I knew where it all was but it wasnt much fun poking about with a torch in the loft.
FInd that head torch.
Make sure i have a really easy meal for 4 ready to roll so I don't have to think in the first throws of an outage. (The neighbours all just got takeaways since it was a small are outage but we dont have that luxury because of food intolerances)
Need a spare head torch or 3 :twisted: I'll never confess to be a expert there's always something better you / I can do

It's always good to have a proper suprise "dry run" when the weather isn't too bad and in relative calm

Add 105 to the phonebook

https://www.powercut105.com/

If you keep the stove in the attic beware of the gas it will freeze in winter (butane contains a lot of water) and have the potential to explode / rupture / leak if they get too hot in summer most aerosol cylinders are rated to 50°c max temperature ... I keep the cartridges in my shed which I've added several vents low down at the back as butane is heavier than air it lets any leak escape relatively safety should it happen

I got one of these the other week very impressed I like the ability to use AA or D cells without any adapter..

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/energizer- ... mcQAvD_BwE

Doubt I'll ever use the usb charger on it but it's another option

I've also added 25 (well now 23) white glow sticks if nothing else it's saved the kids leaving every light on throughout the house as they kept turning them all off for once :lol:
IMG_20220117_191343_903.jpg

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

GillyBee I have to admit I'd rather sit in the livingroom in the dark and starve all night than poke my head up into the loft to look for a camp stove. Have you seen what lives in lofts??? :shock: >>>>>>>>>>>>
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:23 pm GillyBee I have to admit I'd rather sit in the livingroom in the dark and starve all night than poke my head up into the loft to look for a camp stove. Have you seen what lives in lofts??? :shock: >>>>>>>>>>>>
:lol: the Christmas tree and the blooming elves :lol:

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:33 pm
diamond lil wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:23 pm GillyBee I have to admit I'd rather sit in the livingroom in the dark and starve all night than poke my head up into the loft to look for a camp stove. Have you seen what lives in lofts??? :shock: >>>>>>>>>>>>
:lol: the Christmas tree and the blooming elves :lol:
I'm with Lil! A million times over. Four feet, eight feet, wings, I don't care, I'm not going up there. I have tins of food, I have a tin opener, at least one spoon will be clean, I'll just go to bed :lol:

ETA - to be fair, GillyBee, I loved the lessons you posted, especially the tape on the fridge, that's a really good idea.