What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by jennyjj01 »

Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Trying to start prepping my health in this new year, have neglected it with working so many hours but have decided that no matter what, I need to start exercise.

Gonna go shopping next week so will start to get extra food I’m as this Ukraine/Russia thing is getting a bit serious now.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

DustyDog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:28 pm Trying to start prepping my health in this new year, have neglected it with working so many hours but have decided that no matter what, I need to start exercise.

Gonna go shopping next week so will start to get extra food In as this Ukraine/Russia thing is getting a bit serious now. Stock up on tins and dried, fill both freezers etc, be a big shop but worth it for peace of mind. Dig out my old camping stove.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:30 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:58 pm I see. You said you reuse compost? Weeds then.
Another newbie lesson learned. Thanks Jansman.
:( :( I'm inclined to agree. I guess I'll plant some more onions in their own tray as a sort of control group. If the next lot look different, I'll weed out the first lot. If they look the same, I'll continue to care for them.
All skills have to be learned,and that takes time. Next year you will be wiser,five years a real expert. You are learning at just the right time. If you need to know what seedlings look like - just a suggestion- visit a nursery and have a look.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Jenny

The pics in this guide may helpin recognising onion babies.
https://growagoodlife.com/how-to-grow-onions-from-seed/
Baby tomatoes are here looking much the same as yours.
https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/356/
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:53 am
GillyBee wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:42 pm Jenny

The pics in this guide may helpin recognising onion babies.
https://growagoodlife.com/how-to-grow-onions-from-seed/
Baby tomatoes are here looking much the same as yours.
https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/356/
Thanks.
My onions were nothing like that. Tiny, almost round baby leaves. The one I thought was an interloper was maybe the only genuine one.
Anyhow, I;ve sowed some more today in sterile soil in a warmed propagator, as a control group.
My baby toms are doing OK. A bit spindly, but started their first true leaves. I'll transplant them soon, burying them up to their little necks.
Haven't managed to starve or dehydrate them yet. :D
Once your onions are through,they will just need to be kept damp,and no heat. They will stand frost,but it’s better not to expose them to it. Plenty of light though to stop them drawing and going spindly.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've been trying to get my bistro camping gas stove going. I could do with some help! Problem outlined in detail here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17668&p=208619#p208619

Helphelphelphelphelphelp :cry:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:17 pm I've been trying to get my bistro camping gas stove going. I could do with some help! Problem outlined in detail here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17668&p=208619#p208619

https://youtu.be/t5x3QGDDKi0

Try a bit of brute force the lock doesn't restrain the cover just the gas valve

From memory there's 2 dimples in the lid that grip the main body try easing it with a flat screwdriver or kitchen knife
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:28 pm
Arzosah wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:17 pm I've been trying to get my bistro camping gas stove going. I could do with some help! Problem outlined in detail here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17668&p=208619#p208619

https://youtu.be/t5x3QGDDKi0

Try a bit of brute force the lock doesn't restrain the cover just the gas valve

From memory there's 2 dimples in the lid that grip the main body try easing it with a flat screwdriver or kitchen knife
You star, Andy - we should be voting for awards, I think, and you should definitely get one 🌟 I'd never have dared to use that level of force - and very easy with a screwdriver, thanks for that too. There's a little catch on the body of the stove that holds the cover in place, so I bent that a bit with the screwdriver. It stays in place, but now I can move it without the screwdriver.

Imagine if I'd delayed until an actual power cut :shock: :? I'd have been stuck. Can't do the actual getting the cartridge in just now, I have a skype call booked, but I'll do it immediately after the call.

All of this is so I can make sure that if I buy a small buddy heater, I can use the same cartridge, which means I can buy loads of them. And it needed doing anyway, of course :blush: