Tonight I know why I am a prepper.

How are you preparing
izzy_mack

Re: Tonight I know why I am a prepper.

Post by izzy_mack »

jansman wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:36 am Thank you. As a family ,we are not unique . None of us know what is around the corner,and a good job too,I reckon! Youngest is with us for a couple of days now ,and I am pleased to say that she informed us she has had a rather good pay rise at work. We did say things would get better.
Glad things are heading in the right direction for her and for you, having a child who is struggling is distressing but she's lucky you're there for her. One of mine has , jut a couple of weeks before xmas, had his hours cut and since he and his family barely scrap by week to week, this was awful news. Their oil tank was nearly empty so I tightened my belt - even tighter- and emptied the "emergency fund" and got them a tank of oil. No way could I sit by my wood stove, warm and toasty, knowing my grandchildren were going cold. Like you, I can help out of preps with food and cleaning stuff. It's what it's for. Scenarios like this are actually the only time I regret my lack of wealth but you just do the best you can.
jansman

Post by jansman »

izzy_mack wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:10 am
jansman wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:36 am Thank you. As a family ,we are not unique . None of us know what is around the corner,and a good job too,I reckon! Youngest is with us for a couple of days now ,and I am pleased to say that she informed us she has had a rather good pay rise at work. We did say things would get better.
Glad things are heading in the right direction for her and for you, having a child who is struggling is distressing but she's lucky you're there for her. One of mine has , jut a couple of weeks before xmas, had his hours cut and since he and his family barely scrap by week to week, this was awful news. Their oil tank was nearly empty so I tightened my belt - even tighter- and emptied the "emergency fund" and got them a tank of oil. No way could I sit by my wood stove, warm and toasty, knowing my grandchildren were going cold. Like you, I can help out of preps with food and cleaning stuff. It's what it's for. Scenarios like this are actually the only time I regret my lack of wealth but you just do the best you can.
Sounds like you are doing a very good job. That’s parenting. Well done.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:20 am I told her that it won’t be a forever- situation. I think that her overriding emotion is one of a feeling of failure. I told her that the current situation is called Life.

Its not all zombies and asteroid strikes!
Nothing to do with being a failure. I know how she feels, but once she gets over the initial shock of it all she'll bounce back - more resilient and stronger than ever.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:35 am
izzy_mack wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:10 am
Sounds like you are doing a very good job. That’s parenting. Well done.
You all sound like you're doing a great job and 100 percent more than my parents would do for me, so don't be hard on yourselves!!!
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:51 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:20 am I told her that it won’t be a forever- situation. I think that her overriding emotion is one of a feeling of failure. I told her that the current situation is called Life.

Nothing to do with being a failure. I know how she feels, but once she gets over the initial shock of it all she'll bounce back - more resilient and stronger than ever.
Thanks. We are keeping her fed ,we gave her an electric fan heater,and bought a decent quilt for her,with the advice to live ( as far as practical) to live in one room. The girl ain’t daft ,as she was brought up here! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:02 pm

Thanks. We are keeping her fed ,we gave her an electric fan heater,and bought a decent quilt for her,with the advice to live ( as far as practical) to live in one room. The girl ain’t daft ,as she was brought up here! :lol:
If she's living in one room one of the low wattage infrared panel heaters will be cheaper to run than most leccy heaters best fitted on the roof
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:20 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:02 pm

If she's living in one room one of the low wattage infrared panel heaters will be cheaper to run than most leccy heaters best fitted on the roof
You beat me to it,She has the panel from our Summer house.

Robert Frost.

Me.