given the news over the past few weeks

How are you preparing
mikefranks

given the news over the past few weeks

Post by mikefranks »

Hi All,

Given the news this week, are we making any changes to preps? I have been thinking, to make some changes and learnt a lot from last year, food preps is key as it was difficult to get a normal shop done. We are forecast some snow soon, expecting gas and electrical issues coming up (i mean we have had everything else, petrol, food, lorry drivers etc)
Is anyone else adapting and using what has happened to make changes to how we actually prep?
stay safe!
Nurseandy

Re: given the news over the past few weeks

Post by Nurseandy »

Few extra liters of diesel, other than that preps are the same.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Foods good for a few months, waiting on log delivery, plenty of toilet paper, handgel and disposable masks... not gonna worry until the news announces an invasion of mutant zombie biker pirates.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I don't think I have enough fuel for any of the stoves that I have - I can collect twigs etc for the insulated rocket stove, sure, but I haven't been taking the fuel situation seriously enough. Can't check on that before Sunday ... I'll see.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:32 pm I don't think I have enough fuel for any of the stoves that I have - I can collect twigs etc for the insulated rocket stove, sure, but I haven't been taking the fuel situation seriously enough. Can't check on that before Sunday ... I'll see.
Check out home bargains / b&m just got 4 bottles of kerro Aka pure paraffin or as they say on the bottles BBQ lighter fluid for £4 that's the greenhouse heater fueled when we get to spring :lol: can't remember who posted it on here but thanks :tinfoil

But they also have a few gas cartridges reduced from the summer camping range....

If you have a rocket stove wood pellet cat litter can be had cheap and will last a good while
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
mikefranks

Post by mikefranks »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:48 pm
Arzosah wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:32 pm I don't think I have enough fuel for any of the stoves that I have - I can collect twigs etc for the insulated rocket stove, sure, but I haven't been taking the fuel situation seriously enough. Can't check on that before Sunday ... I'll see.
Check out home bargains / b&m just got 4 bottles of kerro Aka pure paraffin or as they say on the bottles BBQ lighter fluid for £4 that's the greenhouse heater fueled when we get to spring :lol: can't remember who posted it on here but thanks :tinfoil

But they also have a few gas cartridges reduced from the summer camping range....

If you have a rocket stove wood pellet cat litter can be had cheap and will last a good while
thanks for that, im prepping for gas / electric issues, have a plan and supply, asda have some logs and coal for sale
lowlander

Post by lowlander »

A big online order arrived today from an online discount store, so that's upped my preps considerably (upping of preps to knackeredness ratio in play here lol )
Bought paraffin. for lamp.
Pretty well up together with everything else.
Upped toiletries etc supplies too.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am fully expecting rolling power cuts/ brownouts.Also,rolling shortages of goods we may be used to. That is the start though.

My brother and I were talking last night. We both have the opinion that this is the start of the end. Peak-Everything .It took a good couple of hundred years for the Roman Empire to collapse ( through lack of resources). Right now,normalcy bias will lead folks to believe “ it will settle down soon”. Fuel is diminishing and getting dearer. Fact.This will continue,I am sure. *We* can see our highly complex industrial society starting to unravel .Brother commented that ,we will look back five to ten years from now,and see how cushy we really had it.

We shall continue to stock up on everything . Now looking at sustainable,basic resupply lines.For example,next year the poncy crops are out. Shall concentrate on maincrop spuds,beans for drying,and greens.

Have a great day folks.Off to work now to see what is NOT being delivered to us! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Not really done anything differently if i'm honest. I have fuel stored , food stored and stocks of other stuff too. The house is insulated and we try to be frugal in energy use and driving and try not to waste food and any waste is converted to compost. At work anything useable isn't chucked in the skip although that's something i've done for decades. There's nothing i can do about thecost of anything i have to buy , building materials for example it's getting embarrassing to charge customers but we'll just have to get used to it.
There are a couple of things i can do. The garden suffered a bit this year as work just got in the way , i shall try to grow more stuff. I have projects like a solar dehydrator that's just been a pile of bits for a couple of years , something else to complete .
But all in all getting used to less and paying more for it and not moaning too much about it is probably going to be the norm.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I think it would be a good idea to get seeds in now, if they vanish then that will be next year stuffed.