Prepping Disasters & Epic Failures?

How are you preparing
GillyBee

Re: Prepping Disasters & Epic Failures?

Post by GillyBee »

With the large number of things we simply cant eat without getting ill we are quite aware that if things ever got really bad we would find it very hard to manage on the sort of "rations" that TPTB would probably mandate. Even "normal" GF flour is off limits because of corn/Potato/tapioca/xanthan gum)

We keep & use lots of GF oats, Buckwheat flour, rice flour and gram flour. I just worry in case they become too unimportant to import/sell.

On the plus side the Sainsbury's GF red lentil pasta was the only one left on the shelf when covid hit and everyone cleared the pasta shelves so I guess there is some benfit to only eating "weird" stuff.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Nothing major here either in terms of disasters. Just little ones like seeds not germinating or having such a low rate that it all seemed like a waste. Stuff that has gone into store and been frankly forgotten about and when "discovered" has turned out to be inedible or spoiled. Last year i decided to try preserving apple juice. I normally just store the apples but thought i'd try something different. I juiced them up and pasturised them and put the jars on the shelf. Little while later my wife said the juice is all bubbling out of the jars. Seems i hadn't pasturised it properly and it had started to ferment. It got quickly transferred to demijohns and ended up as cider but alas no apple juice.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have been reorganising our store room. On the upper shelves I keep emergency cookers,batteries,tarps,etc. - non food if you like. I ‘found ‘ two emergency lanterns.Wind up ones. Buying them was a real fail ! What possessed me? The build quality is good,and they work.BUT the energy in ,ain’t viable for the energy out. My wind up radio is nearly that useless too. Hey Ho! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I had a wind up radio with a built in torch. As a radio it wasn't too bad at all. The torch was next to useless , dim and wore the battery down really quickly. Only really used the radio until some twonk at work dropped a sheet of ply on it , then the whole thing was useless. Kicking about somewhere i have a torch that works by pumping a handle . There's no battery so once i stop pumping there's about a second of light before the inards stop turning and generating. I say it's somewhere because if i'm honest it's so useless it's chucked in the back of a cupboard , or a drawer or a shelf somewhere...
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:35 pm I had a wind up radio with a built in torch. As a radio it wasn't too bad at all. The torch was next to useless , dim and wore the battery down really quickly. Only really used the radio until some twonk at work dropped a sheet of ply on it , then the whole thing was useless. Kicking about somewhere i have a torch that works by pumping a handle . There's no battery so once i stop pumping there's about a second of light before the inards stop turning and generating. I say it's somewhere because if i'm honest it's so useless it's chucked in the back of a cupboard , or a drawer or a shelf somewhere...
:lol: Glad it’s not just me then.

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The one good use for wind up lanterns/torches is for kids torches. I hated wasting batteries on them when they thought the torch was a toy. They may also be good to gift to those "friends" who turn up cap in hand whenever they need something.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:28 pm The one good use for wind up lanterns/torches is for kids torches. I hated wasting batteries on them when they thought the torch was a toy. They may also be good to gift to those "friends" who turn up cap in hand whenever they need something.
Now that’s a good idea! Thanks. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:41 pm
GillyBee wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:28 pm The one good use for wind up lanterns/torches is for kids torches. I hated wasting batteries on them when they thought the torch was a toy. They may also be good to gift to those "friends" who turn up cap in hand whenever they need something.
Now that’s a good idea! Thanks. :D

Found the recent ISH advent of the usb rechargeable torches a godsend when the kids are involved :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Prepping fail last night.

The husband picked up a nasty head injury late last night. Family first aid skills kicked in and he got a trip up to A&E for a full set of tests and was thankfully discharged this morning with a broken nose, black eyes and standard head injury advice.
The fail was the non-existent hospital/hotel bag. The headache is that I can't think of anywhere at all in our small flat where I could keep it and actually find it in an emergency so it has been quietly ignored. BUT trying to throw something together in the heat of the moment is useless when your head is not in the game.

So now you know what I will be trying to sort out once I have caught up a bit on a missed night's sleep.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Awh look after him Gilly and I hope he feels better very soon x