How are you preparing
diamond lil

Prepping Disasters & Epic Failures?

Post by diamond lil »

What was your prepping disaster? What definitely did not work? :mrgreen:
pseudonym

Re: Prepping Disasters & Epic Failures?

Post by pseudonym »

Not so much a disaster, just one of store what you eat..eat what you store.

After being diagnosed with diabetes, all my carb/sugar heavy preps became null and void. They are just trade goods now.. :roll:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:28 am What was your prepping disaster? What definitely did not work? :mrgreen:
As disasters go, nothing really.
A dozen tubes of tomato puree and a big fruitbox full of chockies and liquorice allsorts that went manky.
All probably ruined by the wildly fluctuating temperatures* of the loft.
Rotation failures more than anything.

*solved by use of a few usb temperature loggers and seasonal migration out of the loft in spring.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've wasted a fair amount of money by buying plants and seeds and then not planting them in time for them to prosper, or drowning the seeds by my ridiculous watering habits.
lowlander

Post by lowlander »

Mushroom wine.

Homemade toothpaste - I quite liked it, but ex and children refused to use it after trying it. Took me nearly two months to get through the tiny bit I'd made to try.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Wasting money in the early days on ‘bug out ‘ equipment. Back then ,I bought into the Run-To-The-Woods fantasy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Not having my GHB in the car when I got caught in a flash flood.

I took it my bag out to put decorating kit in and was stood on the verge with only a paint brush.

This was the end of last year - not my best moment.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:16 am After being diagnosed with diabetes, all my carb/sugar heavy preps became null and void. They are just trade goods now.. :roll:
This was me too, hubby diagnosed type 2 just when I had laid in a store from Costco of sugar and flour and cake mix and biscuits.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:16 am Not so much a disaster, just one of store what you eat..eat what you store.

After being diagnosed with diabetes, all my carb/sugar heavy preps became null and void. They are just trade goods now.. :roll:
Similar problem here. Family diagnosed as coeliac/wheat intolerant and a year later hen eggs and corn/maize were also added to the intolerance problem list. It is a real pain that so many good prepping foods contain one or the other of these. At least the food bank did well out of it
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Ah! Another one! Wheat and barley intolerance. Had a couple of instances when the stores had no FreeFrom pasta/bread/flour all at the same time. Taught myself to make my own pasta (it’ll do) but really make sure I’ve got plenty of each now. I’m isolating now but at least I can comfort myself with a decent apple crumble.