Security

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Security

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:16 am Make sure you know where everything is, practice moving around in the dark. And yell men's names - my first instinct was always to yell for my sons even though they are long gone. Scream at top of your voice "Kevin get up! - Michael wake up there's a burglar!" The burglar might not take a chance if it sounds like you've got a man in the house. :mrgreen:
Kevin! That name should instill fear into any intruder :lol:
home-alone-movie-house-embed-inset.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:16 am Make sure you know where everything is, practice moving around in the dark. And yell men's names - my first instinct was always to yell for my sons even though they are long gone. Scream at top of your voice "Kevin get up! - Michael wake up there's a burglar!" The burglar might not take a chance if it sounds like you've got a man in the house. :mrgreen:
Good thinking.Generally speaking,once intruders realise you know they are there,they will leave.We have had two attempted break- ins ( both early hours),and once they realised I was onto them,they were away.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Some brilliant suggestions on here - obviously, its a topic we've mentioned before, but there's a fair bit of new stuff, thank you all, OP too.
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:33 pm There's a good little Collins gems book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAS-Self-Defen ... 0004723015
That's a great link! I'm not buying second hand books at the mo, but there's others at the bottom that are new (though I might go more for a dvd). The suggested links are even better - the first one is for Bleak House, by Charles Dickens :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but the 2nd is a currently-99p-so-buy-it-now kindle version of Terry Nation's Survivors. I bought that :)
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

At the moment my security is an angry teenager and her holy hockey stick
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:11 pm At the moment my security is an angry teenager and her holy hockey stick

Line of balls at the top of the stairs :lol: be like home alone with the paint cans
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Actheise: First of all, I'm glad you came through it OK

If you hang things on the walls (Pool cues, Granddad's sabre, deactivated or antique guns or WHY) make sure that they're all well fixed, after all you don't want Mr Dodgy to thump you with your own stuff...... You knowing that your hockey stick is just in the cupboard by the door is fine (after all, its handy for when you're off to training ;) ) just don't make a gift of it to the badguy
And never use a knife block for the same reason.

Don't have a "Beware of the Dog" sign, this may leave you open to prosecution if Fido does bite someone ("Dogs Running Free" is a better option).
I don't think break-ins in order to steal dogs are common (as opposed to the car keys for example), but with the number of dog-nappings going on at present and the fact that they're on the rise its only a matter of time.

If you have a gate out front, shut it even if you don't lock it. Houses with closed gates are less likely to be targeted

Put things on your windowsills, if somebody does try to climb in they're likely to knock them over... Giving you more warning.

You'll never keep them out, you can just make it difficult enough to make them go try somewhere else
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Angry teenager keeps Holy hockey stick by her bed. She's also a keen hockey player so rsther lethal with it
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

peejay

Post by peejay »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 pm
May I suggest KRS -one . it's da sound of the police :lol:

Will go well with the flashing blue and red lights

Or welcome to the jungle by guns and roses
:lol: :lol: :lol:
FabulousFinn

Post by FabulousFinn »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:30 pm Actheise: First of all, I'm glad you came through it OK

If you hang things on the walls (Pool cues, Granddad's sabre, deactivated or antique guns or WHY) make sure that they're all well fixed, after all you don't want Mr Dodgy to thump you with your own stuff...... You knowing that your hockey stick is just in the cupboard by the door is fine (after all, its handy for when you're off to training ;) ) just don't make a gift of it to the badguy
And never use a knife block for the same reason.

Don't have a "Beware of the Dog" sign, this may leave you open to prosecution if Fido does bite someone ("Dogs Running Free" is a better option).
I don't think break-ins in order to steal dogs are common (as opposed to the car keys for example), but with the number of dog-nappings going on at present and the fact that they're on the rise its only a matter of time.

If you have a gate out front, shut it even if you don't lock it. Houses with closed gates are less likely to be targeted

Put things on your windowsills, if somebody does try to climb in they're likely to knock them over... Giving you more warning.

You'll never keep them out, you can just make it difficult enough to make them go try somewhere else
A few genuine cases of people breaking in to steal dogs in my area.

I've got two dogs and I've recently removed my "dogs running free" sign from my back gate for this reason. Also put a cheap security camera with an onboard memory card and connects / saves to my phone that covers my garden.

I've got a Labradoodle and a German Shepherd. I'd hope/like to think my shepherd wouldn't bite an Intruder. I wouldn't want to put him in that situation or at risk.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Or another one bites the dust