Security

How are you preparing
Actheise

Security

Post by Actheise »

Hi hope you’re well,

Just after some advice. Early hours Friday morning someone attempted to break into my house (partly my own fault for not fully shutting the window handle), As a 25 yr old female living alone I was scared shitless.. luckily I was awake and heard the noises straight away and managed to phone for help and turn all the unpstairs lights on but I keep playing it over in my head what if they managed to get in or I was asleep etc

I had my trusty mora next to my bed but obviously that’s not ideal so wondering what else I could buy? Is pepper spray legal in the uk? Best window alarms? Does anyone have recommendations on security please :)

Thank you!
jansman

Re: Security

Post by jansman »

Hi. We don’t discuss ‘weapons ‘ here. I do understand,I have daughters a similar age to you.

I have a heavy mag light torch next to the bed. If I have to investigate a noise- “ I picked up my emergency torch officer,the lights didn’t work, and when I defended myself,the torch was in my hand”. You get the idea. The lingo is “ going equipped”. If you pre meditate and keep a weapon,you are liable. Get creative and remember the rules. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Exactly the same as jansman here. And teenage daughters if thats relevant.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

You did really well! Turning the lights on, phoning for help, presumably making noise and showing them that somebody is in the house and alert. We're often advised not to take our mobiles into the bedroom so that they don't interrupt our sleep, but in a situation like this, they're a godsend.

In addition: yes, a nice big torch so it's easy to grab hold of, again, someone will run away if they see a light shining specifically in their direction.

And remember, defending yourself isn't the same as attacking someone: if you live in an older house, you may have locks on the internal doors that actually work. Or you could buy a couple of bolts for your bedroom door - the point is to slow them down so that the police have time to arrive.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

There's a good little Collins gems book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAS-Self-Defen ... 0004723015

Explains the legalities and shows a huge range of every day objects which have "alternative" uses ;) obviously we can't discuss them here due to our house rules but flash spray with bleach cleans the bathroom very well indeed for example especially in the times of covid...

Or a small dry powder fire extinguisher can help you put out a house fire it makes one hell of dusty cloud so care should be taken in confined spaces as inhaling it isn't pleasant my wife put out a car fire with one and she was coughing her guts up for hours as she got a good dose of powder blown back at her (and we won't go on about the side effects a few hours later as mono amonium phosphate has a laxative effect ) being a prepper it's not a bad item to have should you need to escape a fire at night time .. mines mounted at the top of the landing on its wall bracket

There is offender marker spray but even then it's borderline legal and might antagonise an intruder who doesn't like being painted red.. and you have to be in close proximity to them

Pepper / CS is classed as a firearm in the UK

https://www.patrolstore.com/Farb-Gel-Cr ... Spray.html

You did the right thing ....

Consider a personal alarm pull pin drop down stairs or
hang out of window or place on outside sill if you've not got a intruder alarm...

That said you can pick a basic home alarm system up for £100 ISH ours is battery powered has 2 door sensors and 2 pirs which covers all our downstairs at night. If you take the keypad with you it has a Panic mode too... With a bright red siren box mounted on the wall outside as an additional deterrent

Solar pir lights outside highlight skulking scrotes

Embrace horticulture if you can grow roses and Holly under your windows outside

You can also get lockable opening restrictors for Windows just keep the keys handy should you need to use them as a fire escape

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xpork-Window-R ... 2452&psc=1

If your bedroom door is solid make it a strong hold to put a firm barrier between you and the intruder

Put some longer screws in the hinges and unless you want to look like a dominatrix and fit some decent door bolts to the bedroom door a decent door wedge or a door jamb unit which is quick to secure without looking too out of place or a pair of lockable door knobs key outside and a thumb turn in your room should keep you safe until help arrives

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viper-Door-Loc ... 07&sr=8-17

https://www.screwfix.com/p/era-door-han ... lsrc=aw.ds
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Never considered the dry powder extinguisher- I have two upstairs- ( don’t care about the mess).I can also revert to my military training-when the ‘ammunition’ runs out, the extinguisher/gun becomes a blunt object!! As a moderator I shouldn’t say such things. :o

In my experience with crime against the person,the police are generally sympathetic.Contrary to popular belief,we ARE allowed to defend ourselves. With reasonable and appropriate force. Knife by the bed- not good. Heavy torch,walking stick,bedside ornament ( I panicked and it came to hand officers), is actually a reasonable defence.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Sorry the OP had the experience but glad they didn't get in, but this topic has inspired me to think about a "panic button" setting for my smart-home kit. It's entirely feasible to have a specific button (or a shortcut/command on phone etc.) to kick off an automation sequence that turns on (or flashes/changes colour such as flashing red/blue lights on the smart lights) plus perhaps even start playing extreme heavy metal/rock at full volume on chosen smart speakers. I reckon it's bound to make a crim think twice about continuing though it might come as an equal shock to the rest of the household!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

peejay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:33 pm Sorry the OP had the experience but glad they didn't get in, but this topic has inspired me to think about a "panic button" setting for my smart-home kit. It's entirely feasible to have a specific button (or a shortcut/command on phone etc.) to kick off an automation sequence that turns on (or flashes/changes colour such as flashing red/blue lights on the smart lights) plus perhaps even start playing extreme heavy metal/rock at full volume on chosen smart speakers. I reckon it's bound to make a crim think twice about continuing though it might come as an equal shock to the rest of the household!

May I suggest KRS -one . it's da sound of the police :lol:

Will go well with the flashing blue and red lights

Or welcome to the jungle by guns and roses

I've got a jar of Naga paste in my car It peps up any bland sandwich ;) makes the mre Tabasco mini bottle seem tame ;) ... And I can spoon it into my cake hole just call me Dave Lister (although I also Cary gaviscon). Get it in your eyes mouth or nose if your not expecting it :twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Also worth maybe having a wee think about positioning of items through the house, eg for us, (in a bungalow) maglite next to the bed, fire extinguisher in the hall way, rolling pin in kitchen, fire poker next to where I sit in the front room. Just so there's an everyday item to hand so to speak.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Make sure you know where everything is, practice moving around in the dark. And yell men's names - my first instinct was always to yell for my sons even though they are long gone. Scream at top of your voice "Kevin get up! - Michael wake up there's a burglar!" The burglar might not take a chance if it sounds like you've got a man in the house. :mrgreen: