What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Le Mouse

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Le Mouse »

I found some packets of seeds in the fridge from when I had the tiny allotment. I'm going to do a germination test today as per Real Seeds: https://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlife.html. If I have any joy I'll do a late sowing in some containers.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Nice one, Mouse. I sowed some seeds earlier in the year, and I thought I drowned them; then I re-used the compost, as it was absolutely unused, for some basil seedlings - and the little seeds sprouted! Moving them to a new environment, even weeks after they'd been drowned, meant that they sprang to life! And I didn't pick them, because I was curious, and their leaves are really big, I can definitely see sprouting as a way forward for me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The garden is flourishing right now. My ‘age proofing’ project last year is paying off. I have reduced the veg garden to 450 square feet, put down weed suppression fabric and bark chips, two square foot method beds, two raised beds ( 3’ high to save bending too far , and containers.In that area also, is a small fowl pen ( I only have two layers now, as it’s only me eats the eggs), and fan trained and espalier fruit trees. If SHTF I could ramp up production quickly, as I have plenty of large, spare containers, and five compost bins to provide the growing medium. If I had to step it up, I would concentrate on spuds , greens and beans.

Fuel prices seem to be going one way only, so I am adding ever more firewood to the piles. I read yesterday, that oil demand will outstrip supply by early next year ( globally), so that can only mean higher prices on everything, and probable scarcity of some things too. Therefore, we shall be starting to ramp up our stockpiles of everything we use from now onwards.

I was fishing locally yesterday, and it was a good opportunity to scan the locality for wild food sources. I don’t get down there as often as I would like, and it was a good exercise. Plenty of fish available ( obviously), lots of pigeons- in easy to shoot locations. One or two rabbits too, in places I have never known them. Lots of wild greens and fruits, and later in the year, there will be mushrooms. If it all goes South, I have local strategies now to acquire ( some) renewable foods.

Sadly, I can only see the global economy getting more austere. In our own small way, we shall try to mitigate potential problems.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I have 2000 tea bags

I think I need more
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Also we seem to be sponsored by instant mash
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

jansman

Post by jansman »

Jerseyspud wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:01 pm I have 2000 tea bags

I think I need more
:lol: There is no such thing as too many tea bags!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

That's what I told my teenager :lol:

If shit hits the fan I want a cup of tea

jansman

Post by jansman »

Jerseyspud wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:58 am That's what I told my teenager :lol:

If shit hits the fan I want a cup of tea
I could not imagine starting the day without tea!

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Agreed! Having spent some time avoiding shops and using the stock, I can safely say that tea (loose leaf and teabgs) along with coffee can safely be bought in bulk around here It will never get out of date.
I now have a much better idea of what rotates quickly and what has to be watched to keep it (reasonably) within date.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Well today the camping stove came out and my camping kettle. We had our school walk and it's poured down here. So colleagues gazebo went up and the camping stove came out so we all had several cups of tea to keep warm