What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

mbbaltic wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:36 pm Many houses in our road had small transparent stickers placed on the front doors today advertising locksmiths. Apparently this is an indication that would be burglars have been scouting the houses to see if they are vulnerable. If challenged, the scout can claim to be distributing advertising materials. But the phone number is fake. They come back round a few hours later to see who has not taken the sticker off the door, suggesting that the house is empty

It's the time of the year for bodged driveways , gutter cleaning , garden services... Roofing ..

Report it to the police on 101 and make sure any older locals are tipped off they are often the best curtain twitchers but easily lead on by someone with the gift of the gab.......

Start with your own basic security.. a tidy front garden with a closed front gate .. ideally with a self closing mechanism.. they don't like being trapped ...

Keep valuables out of sight and car keys deep in the house especially keyless keys put in a tin box..

If you've got uPVC doors for bs ts007 *** cylinders. Most diyers can fit them in about 5 minutes a door the trick is to measure the old one see YouTube for how to do it...

We had a hawker round saying our gutters need cleaning on Monday.....

Not my job mate it's a rented house and you won't get a penny out the landlord he's a right tight bar steward ...

Got him on the back foot straight away ...

Little man came to see what was going on . coughing his lungs up ..

Sorry mate he's got Corrina we have to self isolate for another 8 days ..( he doesn't but he has been unwell)

He was off like a Olympic sprinter :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mrs J and eldest daughter went to IKEA today. Daughter has a company car now , and she needed an excuse to drive somewhere ( I must say, it IS a nice motor- Jaguar- proud of her), so I asked Mrs J to get some of their tea lights. She also thought that a good idea, along with some ( more) wine glasses. They don’t last long in our house!

The candle purchase was not such a bad thing actually. Two of my regular customers were in today. They are engineers at Ratcliffe Power Station- a ‘black’ coal station, that is scheduled for closure. The Eco Police want the black stations gone by 2023. Dave said that “We are operating for the next week, because the wind ain’t blowing. And they say we don’t need coal. Without us the lights will go off, and they want us all in electric cars. Not going to happen.”

Interesting conversation.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I did a last hurrah big shop before I hunker down again before dratted 'Freedom Day'. I live in a moderately touristy area and I'm dreading the onslaught of visitors after the kids break up from school. If masks and social distancing wasn't scrapped so soon, I'd have been happier, but it will be so I have to deal with it. Hey ho.

I also bought a new EDC bag - just a small handbag with All The Pockets - as I'm going back into work soon a couple of days a week. We'll all be doing 'hybrid working' (stupid phrase), so I want something small that I can keep with me at all times when I'm in the office. Next on the list is a GHB that will live in the car.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Le Mouse wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:36 pm I also bought a new EDC bag - just a small handbag with All The Pockets - as I'm going back into work soon a couple of days a week.
Do you have a linkie, Mouse?
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:14 pm Do you have a linkie, Mouse?
Sadly not for where I bought it from as it doesn't appear on their website ( :roll: ), but a bit of googlage on the brand name came up with this: https://www.lambland.co.uk/product/ladi ... ulder-bag/

The bag does get a bit fat once it has stuff in it :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks for that! I had a look through, and I really like this one https://www.lambland.co.uk/product/ladi ... iple-zips/ it has elasticated pockets at the end to hold sanitiser separately, which is A Good Thing in my book :) I'm going to email them to see if their water-resistant material can be washed in a machine - I have a couple of lovely leather handbags of various sizes that will see me out, but nowadays I want something that can be machine washed when I've been out. I've been using those cotton shopping bags, and they're not going to cut it :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Today,or tomorrow,before it gets too warm I am picking up new fowls. The last of my elderly flock expired,sadly.So now it’s time for more. Only three this time,as it is only me that eats eggs regularly,and that will give me plenty, with some surplus. I have square foot beds becoming vacant now,so I shall make them ready for new seeds/ plants.I will not sow anything this week as it is just too hot.Next week will be fine I reckon.

Going to lay in seed compost soon too.Ready for next year. Isn’t that a price now? I could make my own Innes compost - I always used to when I was poor- but for now I’ll see what deals I can find as it is end of season. I noticed in Wilkinson’s yesterday that veg seed is all half price ,if anyone is interested.

The firewood continues to be dumped on my front garden by my landscaping friend,so there is that to be cut and stacked.I need to get on top of all these little jobs quickly though,as Mrs J. is soon in hospital for ( hopefully) the last part of her reconstruction surgery,so I shall be chief cook and bottle washer!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I think buying next year's seeds now is a good idea, remember last year they were hard to get. And compost etc as well - if there's another lockdown then it's going to be groundhog winter :evil:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:36 am Today,or tomorrow,before it gets too warm I am picking up new fowls. The last of my elderly flock expired,

We got 4 pullets earlier this week the last three old birds haven't laid an egg for 2 months ..... So will soon be for the chop no point feeding something that's not laying I refuse to see them as pets but they do get looked after and have plenty of space to be chickens on the allotment they've got a 1 to 2 meter run right round three sides of the 8x10 greenhouse plenty of things to entertain them but if they are not producing they are no good to me. .

Cost us 2lb of strawberries in exchange from a friend who has a cockerel and a incubator :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:36 am
Going to lay in seed compost soon too.Ready for next year. Isn’t that a price now?
Shopping for compost and soil and seeds now for my planters, rather cluelessly! I never realised dirt was so complex or expensive. :)

Topsoil from wickes at 10p per litre.? https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Multi-P ... lsrc=3p.ds
Compost from Wilkinson at 7p per litre ( selected stores) https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-multi ... /p/0071522

I'm guessing the cheap compost will have been torn from peat bogs :(
I noticed in Wilkinson’s yesterday that veg seed is all half price ,if anyone is interested.
Very handy. Thanks.
I wish we had a thank you button.
Mrs J. is soon in hospital for ( hopefully) the last part of her reconstruction surgery,so I shall be chief cook and bottle washer!
Best wishes to Mrs J for the best outcome.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong