What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
GillyBee
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 am

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by GillyBee » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:15 pm

Reviewed the household lighting and USB charging position and bought a couple of rechargeable D-Cells for a lantern that had been left on standard batteries. Also got the "power cut kit" down from the shelf and checked it over. The old basic phone in there will not be any use in a power cut once BT force us over onto VOIP but it can stay there until they do.

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 5641
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:41 pm

GillyBee wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:15 pm
Reviewed the household lighting and USB charging position and bought a couple of rechargeable D-Cells for a lantern that had been left on standard batteries. Also got the "power cut kit" down from the shelf and checked it over. The old basic phone in there will not be any use in a power cut once BT force us over onto VOIP but it can stay there until they do.
That's on my to-do this week list I've got all the kit it just needs sorting and organising it's all charged up biggest issue is the kids getting to the torches and running them flat the sacrificial kids ones are all all flat :x :lol:


Got a couple of solar "street lights £16 for 2 on eBay first impressions very bright for their size and a large solar panel on top
Screenshot_20210921-180703.png
Screenshot_20210921-180652.png
Screenshot_20210921-180717.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

Zedsdead
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:57 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Zedsdead » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:42 pm

I’m currently mulling over a generator. I need one for work so it will double up as a home backup as well

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 5641
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:31 pm

Zedsdead wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:42 pm
I’m currently mulling over a generator. I need one for work so it will double up as a home backup as well
Get bigger that what you need especially if your running anything with an induction motor needs a good kick to get it running
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

User avatar
jennyjj01
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jennyjj01 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:46 pm

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:41 pm
Got a couple of solar "street lights £16 for 2 on eBay
Bargain. I ordered some too. At that price, what's not to love. Might even use them as regular backup lamps if they can stay charged from ambient lighting. E.g left hanging in the garage turned off.
Will be interesting to see what batteries they use. I'm hoping it's 3 x 18650 cells.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Free hug vouchers. Please take one and copy and redistribute as often as you like.
Redeemable on demand.

Zedsdead
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:57 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Zedsdead » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:14 pm

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:31 pm
Zedsdead wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:42 pm
I’m currently mulling over a generator. I need one for work so it will double up as a home backup as well
Get bigger that what you need especially if your running anything with an induction motor needs a good kick to get it running
I’ll just be running some small power tools at work.

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 5641
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:33 pm

jennyjj01 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:46 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:41 pm
Got a couple of solar "street lights £16 for 2 on eBay
Bargain. I ordered some too. At that price, what's not to love. Might even use them as regular backup lamps if they can stay charged from ambient lighting. E.g left hanging in the garage turned off.
Will be interesting to see what batteries they use. I'm hoping it's 3 x 18650 cells.
2x 18650 ;)

I pre charged them before they went up
Screenshot_20210922-173307.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

User avatar
jennyjj01
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jennyjj01 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:33 pm
jennyjj01 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:46 pm
Will be interesting to see what batteries they use. I'm hoping it's 3 x 18650 cells.
2x 18650 ;)

I pre charged them before they went up

Screenshot_20210922-173307.png
Hmmm. mine says Battery capacity: 3.7V/2200MAH lithium battery which implies 3 cells to me maybe 3 x AA.
Oh hum, we'll see what the postie brings.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Free hug vouchers. Please take one and copy and redistribute as often as you like.
Redeemable on demand.

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 5641
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 pm

jennyjj01 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:15 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:33 pm
jennyjj01 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:46 pm
Will be interesting to see what batteries they use. I'm hoping it's 3 x 18650 cells.
2x 18650 ;)

I pre charged them before they went up

Screenshot_20210922-173307.png
Hmmm. mine says Battery capacity: 3.7V/2200MAH lithium battery which implies 3 cells to me maybe 3 x AA.
Oh hum, we'll see what the postie brings.
Those cells are 3.7v each put in side by side (parallel)

This is a better quality / brand of cell with its specification
Screenshot_20210922-184837.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

User avatar
jennyjj01
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jennyjj01 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:50 pm

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 pm

Those cells are 3.7v each put in side by side (parallel)

This is a better quality / brand of cell with its specification
Thanks, I have a few of these batteries in COB spotlights. I'm easily impressed and quite like their size/capacity ratio. Had thought they were 1.23v
Very impressed by the price of those lamps, which would barely cover the cost of the batteries. I wonder if mine will turn up with "Batteries not included"? I doubt it, because the listing quotes capacity and charge time.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Free hug vouchers. Please take one and copy and redistribute as often as you like.
Redeemable on demand.

Post Reply