What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:49 pm Gradually sorting my Get Home Bag ( GHB). Down the years I have fluctuated between ultra light and medium heavy. Yesterday,because of an RTA I was in a jam for an hour . I am currently ultra light. I really could have done with a brew! Sure,I had water... so I am now going back to my original Belgian Army Rucksack kit. And the Hexi stove is going back in!

I've got a couple of wet mre's and the thermal pouches .. I suffer with reflux so if I need to eat I need to eat before my stomach eats itself ... ..

On the brew front

These are great for a quick brew

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254414157344 ... pwQAvD_BwE

And I paid £40ish for mine :evil: a rip off of the jet boil I keep a small cartridge in the car which gets a fair few brews from it
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Jansman what you're doing brings it home to me how much drive and energy it takes to be a prepper. Nobody gets much done sitting on their bums watching tv.
Or floating round the net like I'm doing.. :mrgreen:
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

one thing i thought about today,im a smoker and have rolled my own for 30+years,although iv always bought filter tips and rolling papers in bulk,i only ever have one pouch of tobacco at a time from a shop so time to try and stock up abit on this but trying to find real stuff cheap and not the rubbish some people in work sell,this i may find a challange lol...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:42 pm Jansman what you're doing brings it home to me how much drive and energy it takes to be a prepper. Nobody gets much done sitting on their bums watching tv.
I'm torn between handing you an extra couple of hydrogen balloons and giving you a push to send you floating faster, or jumping up and catching hold of your ankle to pull you down to earth. Nah, I'll do the balloons. Much nicer.

Being a prepper takes **time**, doesn't it ... I don't refresh my water supplies as often as I should, and it takes a while to "go shopping" from my stores upstairs. The craziest thing is often decluttering as much as I can, to have room for the extra tins of this that and the other. Little things, like an aerosol of craft glue that had gummed up, so as well as finding it and testing it, I checked online on my council's website whether I can recycle it (yay, I can). And eventually I've created a nice big piece of storage in my desk, and stuff that's scattered around the house can all go there. Stores are more logical and easier to find.

Rusty, are you not tempted to try to give up?
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I'm using up some of my food preps as I'm moving in just over a week and I don't want to have to transport too much food over there. Plus, despite there being a larder in my new place, the larder will be *the* storage space in the tiny, tiny kitchen, so it will likely have to hold more than just food. But there is just me, so I don't need *loads* of food! :lol:

I've also been investigating 'back routes' from the new place to work and to my Mum's house so I can avoid the main route which often gets jammed up - currently it has about 3 sets of roadworks!
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:42 pm Jansman what you're doing brings it home to me how much drive and energy it takes to be a prepper. Nobody gets much done sitting on their bums watching tv.
I don’t have drive and energy in abundance these days Lil! For me, it’s just lifestyle. I just consider myself to be the country boy I have always been. As I left work today, I noticed some lidded buckets next to one of the skips ( lazy so and so’s left it to someone else as usual) so I had those away. Also there was a pallet next to one of the storage containers. The seats are down permanently in my car with a protective tarp- so I cut the pallet in half with the rip saw I carry, and that’s more for the firewood pile. Everyone at work taps me up for my pocket tools, or tape measure ( I have a mini 1 metre job, and you’d be surprised how many times it gets used. ). One of my colleagues had a birthday last week, and one of the bakers made a cake. Candles on it, and no lighter. They just KNEW I would have one! :lol:

But nobody knows I am a ‘prepper’. I don’t even label myself as such. I just like to be able to smooth life’s rocky road.

Oh yes, thanks for that link for the knock off jet boil Yorkshire Andy. Gonna look at one of those boys.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Preps this week involve logging back onto this board which I haven't done for a couple of months - I got a lot of reading to catch up on! :lol: Apart from that, it's things such as going through my garage preps and restocking from the running down of those supplies that I did recently. Make lists of what preps I need to do over the next few weeks. Or course there is the normal allotment work and seeds to start off in the greenhouse *cough* erm I mean conservatory! (It's a green house at this time of year!)

Also I have just done outdoor first aid and redid my paediatric first aid as part of my forest school training. It needed to be done anyhow for the qualification but it's also always been part of my preps I regularly do. After the catastrophic bleeds training part I have now bought an Israeli bandage dressing. Useful addition to my FAKit.

Anyhoows I'm off now to submerge myself in the past couple of month's posts!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm using up preps and making space for more come autumn. What I need to stash has changed since we moved, and I'm gradually easing into it. I'm a lot nearer civilisation now so can cut down a fair bit. Not growing anything at all is a huge relief really, can concentrate on flowers and plants in this tiny garden. Much easier to manage. We can't get a shed anytime soon as they all have waiting lists stretching into July, so that's a pain.
The kitchen is tiny and the cupboards I need are either on the floor or up at the ceiling, I've just been gradually emptying them and moving stuff I need to the middle. But still got one freezer full of flour, not sure how long that will keep...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Started servicing the car today...

Air / cabin / oil filters changed.. oil and coolent replaced .. tomorrow it's strip and clean brakes and check suspension over tomorrow ... Booked in for MOT in two weekends time
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Very reluctantly,I am going to forgo my weekly fishing trip :( :( I have a stack of firewood to process,and that is a major part of our domestic economy,and I do like to see it stacked and ready.It always gives me a feeling of security,if that makes sense? Also,more importantly,I shall get the rest of my seeds sown,plants potted on etc. Spring is here,and I don’t want to miss the boat.

It’ll be an early start Tuesday to get all that done,( no lounging around drinking tea!)but I shall also pull in some home brewing,and tie some fishing rigs for the following week.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.