What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Jerseyspud

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Jerseyspud »

Reordered my stocks today so I could visually see how much I had

Scary how it looks alot but it's not even a months worth calorie wise
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Planted half a dozen sets of seeds, finally. I think I may have drowned them the first day :( because either there's spots of mould on the top of the cells, or the fuzzy backs of sprouted seeds are showing themselves :?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 pm Reordered my stocks today so I could visually see how much I had

Calories (carbs) are the most inexpensive bit and easiest to store. They are the base of any food stash.

I calculate my
Food survival time in days as ((total calories stored) / (2000 * Number of mouths))
I record all my stash in an excel workbook where I log everything as KCalories/£1 and KCalories held.
Cheapest kCalories per £1 are Oats and Flour, which is handy, because they are SO flexible.

A kilo of rice or pasta or oats is about 2 person days of calories... But will last you a week.
A litre of oil is about 4 person days of calories, though you can't make a meal just from oil.

First thing I got. Pasta, rice, dried instant mash, oats and flour. Get a few tens of kilos for as little as 50p per kilo and you can get a years worth for just a few £hundred. But If I ran out of tea & coffee then life wouldn't be worth living. So that was next to buy.Then augment with tinned tomatoes and cooking sauces and you at least won't starve to death.
From when I did the ration challenge, I soon realised the value of simple flavouring even if it's a box of oxo cubes or a tin of tomatoes. Get lots of tins of tomatoes :)
Then embellish with more expensive stuff = proteins and veg.... the stuff you never bothered with as a student.

I definitely recommend the Ration Challenge to any Prepper. Teaches you in a week what's NEEDED in your stockpile.

My summary... A bit out of date...
download/file.php?id=1681&mode=view
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:28 pm
Jerseyspud wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 pm Reordered my stocks today so I could visually see how much I had

Calories (carbs) are the most inexpensive bit and easiest to store. They are the base of any food stash.

I calculate my
Food survival time in days as ((total calories stored) / (2000 * Number of mouths))
I record all my stash in an excel workbook where I log everything as KCalories/£1 and KCalories held.
Cheapest kCalories per £1 are Oats and Flour, which is handy, because they are SO flexible.

A kilo of rice or pasta or oats is about 2 person days of calories... But will last you a week.
A litre of oil is about 4 person days of calories, though you can't make a meal just from oil.

First thing I got. Pasta, rice, dried instant mash, oats and flour. Get a few tens of kilos for as little as 50p per kilo and you can get a years worth for just a few £hundred. But If I ran out of tea & coffee then life wouldn't be worth living. So that was next to buy.Then augment with tinned tomatoes and cooking sauces and you at least won't starve to death.
From when I did the ration challenge, I soon realised the value of simple flavouring even if it's a box of oxo cubes or a tin of tomatoes. Get lots of tins of tomatoes :)
Then embellish with more expensive stuff = proteins and veg.... the stuff you never bothered with as a student.

I definitely recommend the Ration Challenge to any Prepper. Teaches you in a week what's NEEDED in your stockpile.

My summary... A bit out of date...
download/file.php?id=1681&mode=view
I've got a fair bit of carbs.Pasta, cous cous, rice, crackers etc. It was more the protein and fruit and veg :/

Although its really show what to work on for now which I plan to
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I also have lots of stock cubes, and things like Casserole mixes for the herbs etc. Oh and instant mash 🤣

jansman

Post by jansman »

Currently scavenging firewood.I very ,very rarely buy it,and I am not planning on doing so anytime soon! I have enough softwood stashed for Winter2023/24 ,but gotta get 21/22 sorted - and I will.

Set the tomatoes in their final pots,broad beans in and thriving,peas coming through and my marigolds are ripping away! Speaking of gardens,my neighbour has a conifer big enough to rival the Norwegian Spruce in Trafalgar Square... complete with so**ing pigeons! So,Jansman being ever resourceful,I contacted the landlord of next door ( From whence the pigeons are gathering nesting materials!!) and then hopping into my garden for dinner. :( and I am now putting pigeons in the freezer for future consumption. At least I know they have been eating organically! :lol:

Looking at economic forecasts/ projections/prophecy, we are going to ramp up storage. Once the government support schemes finish,I suspect there will be a little pain. This:

https://consciousnessofsheep.co.uk/2021 ... oes-begin/

I really do think we are in for economic problems quite soon. I hope I am wrong.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I've found somewhere to move to and I'm hoping like hell my references work - letting agents ask so many more questions now, it's bonkers! My new place is a bit more rural and is old enough to have a pantry! I'm thinking about having a crack at container gardening when I've settled in, but I figure that I'd have to buy part grown plants by that time which I'm going to guess is rather expensive.

In other news I've booked my second covid jab and I bought myself a TENS machine to help my knackered back and save me taking too much in the way of pain relief which I can get through pretty quickly.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Glad you've found somewhere to move to mouse :)

Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Jerseyspud wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:50 pm Glad you've found somewhere to move to mouse :)
Thank you! :) I'm very happy about it and crossing fingers and toes that it all works out :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Mouse, that's great news - more rural too? Lovely.

Jansman - your description of the pigeons is brilliant :lol: I haven't yet read the latest consciousness of sheep post - I'll do that tonight.

Jerseyspud - I find my protein intake to be really crucial - I feel so hungry without it! And if I've only got carbs, I binge on them terribly, its not good.

Preps-wise for me, garden is getting better, I've put a piece of trellis back up, on my brick shed, so I can put a container on the patio and have it grow up the trellis. I keep chatting to the seeds I've just planted, hoping I haven't drowned them. More sawdust from the neighbour with the socking great chainsaw is creating a little path between container beds. I've found the lid to the compost bin :oops: I've been taking care of the finances, where they are and what the interest rate is. I haven't yet done the leaking-the-gaz-out-from-the-rusty-cartridge - I want to do that on Friday. Basically I'm doing lots of little jobs so I can start on another big prepping job.