What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Vitamin c

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Vitamin c »

Picking lots of free apples form local wild trees
Stewe'd up and frozen lovely on me oats .
Fill er up jacko...
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

Stocking up on my food preps with some spare cash. Buy now and save money on next year👍
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Bought a box of baking potatoes. Sadly a lot easier than growing them.
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:51 am Picking lots of free apples form local wild trees
Stewe'd up and frozen lovely on me oats .
I've been doing that but more a long the lines of some oats on me cooked apples.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Winterprep wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:30 am Stocking up on my food preps with some spare cash. Buy now and save money on next year👍
Good idea, looking at trends in the news.... i.e Heinz and price rises - getting supermarkets own versions of said items.

Lack of CO2 shortages... getting pork loin steaks into the freezer now...
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:56 pm Good idea, looking at trends in the news.... i.e Heinz and price rises - getting supermarkets own versions of said items.
Good plan. I notice Batchelors 'Condensed soup' in Home Bargain today Half the price of regular tins of soup and half the storage volume, but limited range of chicken or mushroom. Haven't seen condensed soup in ages and forgot it existed. Useful in pies and sauces.
jansman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:36 pm You will struggle to run a freezer on a 650 watt gennie.Again,it’s the initial ooomph! to kick the compressor into motion.
Experiment today to see if my small Powercraft 650 Genny would power any of my 3 freezers. I keep hearing that start up current would make it fail.

Could I get the genny to start? Could I 6l00dy hell. After half an hour of trying and cursing, not a hint of it starting.

Called in resident petrol head to give me a crash course. A very useful session. It seems year old petrol goes off, and all my trying had soaked the plug. We cooked the plug on the stove, and changed the fuel and within minutes it was running.

Experiment...
Newest Under counter freezer. Started and worked no problem. Worked on 'Boost'
Oldest small chest freezer. Same. Success.
Old fridge freezer combo. Tripped out the genny 'overload' the first couple of tries, but worked on 3rd try. Worked on boost, but I only left it a couple of minutes.

So, 2 out of 3 seemed happy. I suppose I should have tried running 2 at a time. One for another day. I also suppose I'm risking damage to the genny.

I'm still of 2 minds on buying that £25 Lidl Inverter. Too Few application, I think.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Started putting in a regular weekly order to my excellent local butcher. Never had a real butcher for over 20 years, so this is a change. But I think if anything gets scarce then he will put regular customers first, so it makes sense.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:12 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:36 pm You will struggle to run a freezer on a 650 watt gennie.Again,it’s the initial ooomph! to kick the compressor into motion.
Experiment yesterday...
Old fridge freezer combo. Tripped out the genny 'overload' the first couple of tries, but worked on 3rd try. Worked on boost, but I only left it a couple of minutes.

So, 2 out of 3 seemed happy. I suppose I should have tried running 2 at a time. One for another day. I also suppose I'm risking damage to the genny.
Follow up experiment:
Genny started up easily today. Powered 2 of the freezers on boost for 20 minutes without incident.

So, maybe this talk of kicking compressors into motion does not apply to smaller or more modern freezers.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GeraldTheBonzai

Post by GeraldTheBonzai »

Job for the weekend - do an audit. What have we got, what are dates on food, what needs charging up, what do we need to get in, where is everything...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:33 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:12 pm
Experiment yesterday...

Follow up experiment:
Genny started up easily today. Powered 2 of the freezers on boost for 20 minutes without incident.

So, maybe this talk of kicking compressors into motion does not apply to smaller or more modern freezers.

More modern ones are inverter driven so it's true they need less In rush due to the soft start ... But they are more voltage sensitive to spikes due to the amount of electronics

Tonight's prepping masterclass was having sister turn up with her car "sounding like a boy racer :lol: ... Back box had rotted off... Welded it back into place and new back box ordered for £32 brand new :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine