What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Le Mouse wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:22 pm I had my EDC challenged a little this evening. I got a call from my father's partner who was in tears saying my dad wasn't home from the pub when expected. The daft old bugger refuses to have a mobile phone, so I had to trog into the city to make sure he was still sat in the pub and not in a hospital having had a third heart attack or something. He was indeed (thankfully) completely trashed on Guinness and annoying the other pub patrons with the sh*te he was spouting :roll:

ANYWAY, my drive home was my first drive home in the proper dark to this place and I realised that even though there are PIR lights at the door, they aren't that bright, so I was scrabbling for my torch in my bag at every set of traffic lights. Didn't find the damn thing until I was home and had eaten my tea! So a pen light with a clip is on the shopping list ASAP. Until then, I have the loop of my current EDC torch tied to a bag loop which will tide me over for now.

Also I realise now, that had I needed to sit in the hospital, then I don't have food or water in my car. That's a massive hole in car preps which needs fixing immediately.
As moch as their aftersales is utter garbage the little olight

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olight-Recharg ... 0132942771

Is a bloody good key chain torch if it's on your car key you will always have it to hand...

Coupled with one of these little glow sticks you'll always find your keys in the dark :lol:

https://www.iceatope.co.uk/product/glowrings/

I've got my car key (green)

House keys (white)

Wife's keys (orange and blue)

If you loose the keys wait till dark then walk round the house :lol: ..

Screenshot_20211107-215503.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I'm more of a cheapskate than Andy. I'd love some of those glow stick jobs but cant justify the spend.
We do all have one of these Thrunite torches on our keys alongside a Leatherman Micra and have found them pretty good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThruNite%C2%AE ... th=1&psc=1

Instead of the glow sticks I bought some glow in the dark tape which has been attached to my main house key. It isn't so good if the keys have been lurking in a dark bag all day but it is surprising how little light it needs before it glows. This has also been used to mark locations in the house that we might need to find in the dark.
Food in the car is pretty basic unless we are travelling but I do keep a pack of protein bar things in the glove box along with an energy drink or two and swap them out every six months or so. (Usually when they have been eaten.....)
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

If you go into Tesco look at the £1 section in or near the DIY section, its sells handy stuff like 10m duct tape, thermometers, vinyl gloves, cable ties and twin packs of keyring torches and lots of other bits and bobs. Two for a quid is a good price, the torches are fine for the job and lightweight. Don't buy the jar openers...they don't work.

Lidl are selling 1kg bags of salted peanuts, vacuum pack into smaller portions and they'll last months and their 1kg tubs of peanut butter is good value. Iceland are selling 15 portions of Nescafe 3 in 1 coffee for £2 and the 1kg tubs of coffee mate for £4.50 (I've used some three years past UBD no problems). A bonus for coffee mate apart from long shelf life is its non dairy and lactose free and personally I prefer it to dried milk in coffee. Iceland are also selling 300g tinned peas (marrowfat or mushy) five cans for £2 perfect to go with your hot dogs, dried spuds and onion gravy granule gravy (100gm tub £1) meal.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:10 pm I'm more of a cheapskate than Andy. I'd love some of those glow stick jobs but cant justify the spend.
We do all have one of these Thrunite torches on our keys alongside a Leatherman Micra and have found them pretty good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThruNite%C2%AE ... th=1&psc=1

Instead of the glow sticks I bought some glow in the dark tape which has been attached to my main house key. It isn't so good if the keys have been lurking in a dark bag all day but it is surprising how little light it needs before it glows. This has also been used to mark locations in the house that we might need to find in the dark.
Food in the car is pretty basic unless we are travelling but I do keep a pack of protein bar things in the glove box along with an energy drink or two and swap them out every six months or so. (Usually when they have been eaten.....)

Glow in the dark tape is good especially the evacuation route grade .....

This is my loft hatch tue attic is bordered out so if the power goes out you can't see a thing and have the chance to fall through the opening. ..
15033581124_ed29d5ec26_z.jpg
15033581124_ed29d5ec26_z.jpg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 921 times

PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Got made redundant last week, the preschool was about to go into liquidation and suddenly got a loan at the 11th hour from from a company who is interested in taking it on, to keep it afloat. Us staff had meeting today with the potential new owners but the future is totally uncertain and we may not get taken over after all so we may get made redundant anyhow at Christmas. Sooooooo my preps this week have been checking finances, accepting the redundancy now not later,(not that I get very much at all just about 7.5 weeks worth of work it equates to,) and sending CV and letters out so I am in the best position going forward. (I have a job interview lined up already.) If I waited and took the risk and carried on till Christmas but got made redundant anyhow at Christmas, you tend to get a flurry of folks looking for work in January - New Year's resolutions and life re-evaluations etc over the festive period, so by looking for work now, I should beat the rush so as to speak. More chance of getting something now. So oddly enough, taking the redundancy now is preparing against the inevitable later on.

So other preps have been checking what food I have, and working out personal finances to see me through the next few weeks. As luck would have it, I am waiting on almost a grand to come my way from the pet insurance, (doggo had a CT scan a while back,) so that money will be used sensibly food wise and on buying a few Christmas food and basic gift items now in case.

Thankfully, I am reasonably prepared in the toiletries, dried and tinned food department, and I have already bought a frozen stuffed turkey joint for the day,(sorry Jansman - its one of those rubbish Tesco things from the freezer isle :lol: I can hear the butcher cursing now! ) but I bought that a month ago, just in case of supply issues.

That's my preps this week :)
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Sorry to hear that PP, but glad to hear you were on top of the situation.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:37 pm Sorry to hear that PP, but glad to hear you were on top of the situation.
Ditto, Pingu, sorry you've had this news, so glad you're coping so well - your jitters are very much under control, from the sound of it!
jansman

Post by jansman »

PreppingPingu wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:29 pm Got made redundant last week, the preschool was about to go into liquidation and suddenly got a loan at the 11th hour from from a company who is interested in taking it on, to keep it afloat. Us staff had meeting today with the potential new owners but the future is totally uncertain and we may not get taken over after all so we may get made redundant anyhow at Christmas. Sooooooo my preps this week have been checking finances, accepting the redundancy now not later,(not that I get very much at all just about 7.5 weeks worth of work it equates to,) and sending CV and letters out so I am in the best position going forward. (I have a job interview lined up already.) If I waited and took the risk and carried on till Christmas but got made redundant anyhow at Christmas, you tend to get a flurry of folks looking for work in January - New Year's resolutions and life re-evaluations etc over the festive period, so by looking for work now, I should beat the rush so as to speak. More chance of getting something now. So oddly enough, taking the redundancy now is preparing against the inevitable later on.

So other preps have been checking what food I have, and working out personal finances to see me through the next few weeks. As luck would have it, I am waiting on almost a grand to come my way from the pet insurance, (doggo had a CT scan a while back,) so that money will be used sensibly food wise and on buying a few Christmas food and basic gift items now in case.

Thankfully, I am reasonably prepared in the toiletries, dried and tinned food department, and I have already bought a frozen stuffed turkey joint for the day,(sorry Jansman - its one of those rubbish Tesco things from the freezer isle :lol: I can hear the butcher cursing now! ) but I bought that a month ago, just in case of supply issues.

That's my preps this week :)
This butcher thinks you are well sorted! I have been made redundant,and it is the shittiest place to be ,after illnesses. You sound like you are as well placed as you can be,and I wish you well.The very best of luck to you. You are being proactive,and that will pay off. Again,I wish you luck, and kind regards.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

You've a good positive attitude Pingu and thats half the battle mate, have a great 2022.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Started winterizing the car ready for the predicted winter weather :lol:

Out with the foam extinguisher and in with dry powder (foam freezes I prefer foam over power)

Had a tyre replaced which was getting low on tread got a puncture in may which was beyond repair so put one of my own part worn tyres on it it's still at 3mm but not clever if snows coming (I run all season tyres with the mountain/ snowflake rating)

Got the shovel and snow brush out the shed ready to sling in the boot need to pick the snow chains up they are dumped at My parents house

Know the engine coolant / antifreeze is good I replaced it earlier this year so that's one less thing to worry about :lol:

After Christmas I'll get 2 new front tyres if the weather really bites hard they are plenty legal but the inner edges are rubbing off