What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Arzosah »

I have some pretty little Spyderco knives that I've hardly ever used, but I used the tiny 1" today: I had a pair of walking shoes collapse on me last week, and before I threw them in the bin I used the knife to cut through the leather and get to the D rings - I'm sure they'll be useable for something else.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:47 pm I have some pretty little Spyderco knives that I've hardly ever used, but I used the tiny 1" today: I had a pair of walking shoes collapse on me last week, and before I threw them in the bin I used the knife to cut through the leather and get to the D rings - I'm sure they'll be useable for something else.

Did you keep all your fingers? :lol:

Guessing it's the little set
Attachments
spyderco-bug-honeybee-grasshopper_1_04361f523973796f0b922f20ae3b15f0.jpg
spyderco-bug-honeybee-grasshopper_1_04361f523973796f0b922f20ae3b15f0.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 437 times
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I *did* keep all my fingers, yes - I guarantee you that if I hadn't, I'd be yowling and yowling and yowling about it on here, for quite a long time :mrgreen:

And yes, that's the set! Very cute :)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

My god arzosah I'd be lethal with them. I'd have no hands left, nevermind fingers! :shock:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

They are sharp, it's true. I tried to use scissors to cut through the leather holding the D rings, but it wouldn't budge. Knife was necessary - and scary, yes. All fingers were kept well away, and direction of travel of the blade was very secure. I still use scissors whenever I can :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:52 am They are sharp, it's true. I tried to use scissors to cut through the leather holding the D rings, but it wouldn't budge. Knife was necessary - and scary, yes. All fingers were kept well away, and direction of travel of the blade was very secure. I still use scissors whenever I can :D
That is an interesting little exchange Arzosah. Knives ( and fire) are the most basic tools ,which arguably, built civilisation.I take knives for granted I suppose,as I use one,literally,hundreds of times a day. We ( first world society)appear to be at the stage of our evolution,where ( most) have moved away from using manual tools,and knives in particular. This move away from such tools appears to have made Society ‘afraid’ of that Sharp Edge.I see the look sometimes on customers’ faces ( horror) when I am swiftly cutting their orders. Please don’t misunderstand me, I am not criticising anyone,it is an observation I have made over time.

Knife- related assaults don’t help matters either. A knife is like fire; A good slave ,but a bad master. Oh yes, those little Spyderco knives look lovely by the way.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I agree totally, jansman - I was an office worker, then a counsellor, never had a physical job in all my working life, so knives are completely foreign to me in that respect. I've used manual tools when doing voluntary conservation work - scythe, saw, fence strainer, that sort of thing. It's why I posted the original little description of what I was doing -"preppers" can sound like they're all experts, and learning to use such a tiny knife is where a lot of people are, in reality, as new preppers :mrgreen: or existing preppers, come to that :mrgreen:

As you describe, the move away from manual has made things like this totally foreign to most people - maybe I like learning to use this stuff partly because I remember going to real butchers when I used to eat meat - the speed of the knives was amazing, and the guys were obviously so skilful, it was amazing.

Love that saying too: "a good slave, but a bad master".
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:29 pm I agree totally, jansman - I was an office worker, then a counsellor, never had a physical job in all my working life, so knives are completely foreign to me in that respect. I've used manual tools when doing voluntary conservation work - scythe, saw, fence strainer, that sort of thing. It's why I posted the original little description of what I was doing -"preppers" can sound like they're all experts, and learning to use such a tiny knife is where a lot of people are, in reality, as new preppers :mrgreen: or existing preppers, come to that :mrgreen:

As you describe, the move away from manual has made things like this totally foreign to most people - maybe I like learning to use this stuff partly because I remember going to real butchers when I used to eat meat - the speed of the knives was amazing, and the guys were obviously so skilful, it was amazing.

Love that saying too: "a good slave, but a bad master".
If it’s any consolation,I am totally crap with computers.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:07 pm If it’s any consolation,I am totally crap with computers.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: My first computer experience was when my boyfriend bought a ZX81 - you had to instal the *operating* system, from a cassette, each time you used it :lol: And at work, at the same time, there was one word processor, in it's own room opposite the big boss's room (Brian Rix, the French farce trouser dropper, if your memory goes back that far) and everyone had to book time on it in a big book :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:28 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:07 pm If it’s any consolation,I am totally crap with computers.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: My first computer experience was when my boyfriend bought a ZX81 - you had to instal the *operating* system, from a cassette, each time you used it :lol: And at work, at the same time, there was one word processor, in it's own room opposite the big boss's room (Brian Rix, the French farce trouser dropper, if your memory goes back that far) and everyone had to book time on it in a big book :lol:
Brian Rix! Yes, my memory does extend that far… sadly. :lol:

My computer skills are confined to my IPhone and iPad; user friendly for my browsing ,fishing videos on YouTube and buying fishing gear on eBay ! My Boss expects me to be a bloody accountant/ IT expert, on top of what he employed me for. Is that the same for other trades?

Robert Frost.

Me.