What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Jerseyspud

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Jerseyspud »

Both are currently on the autistic spectrum so are a little bit feral. Especially the youngest one.
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Peat reek is one of those smells that you never forget, I can always tell if somebody in the village is burning peat :mrgreen: It's much hotter than wood though, great stuff. Just awkward - if you haven't got the knack it tends to go black and sullen on you.
peejay

Post by peejay »

jansman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:41 am
Britcit wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:00 pm We finally got our new peat bank allocated to us, so we have spent many hours over the last 2 weeks up there. Digging peat for winter fuel is heavy work at first but well worth the effort.

We normally burn wood that I can source almost for free, but peat burns better and for longer. Hopefully we can lower our heating oil bill by using peat.
Your post caused me to read up on peat burning.Absolutely fascinating! May I ask where you are located?
Peat burning is the norm in Ireland too - I get a bag of it from my parents whenever they come over which sadly is less & less these days but I did recently re-discover half a bag I was saving for last Christmas but then couldn't find at the time! The smell of it burning brings me right back over there...
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Britcit wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:00 pm We finally got our new peat bank allocated to us, so we have spent many hours over the last 2 weeks up there. Digging peat for winter fuel is heavy work at first but well worth the effort.

We normally burn wood that I can source almost for free, but peat burns better and for longer. Hopefully we can lower our heating oil bill by using peat.
Your post caused me to read up on peat burning.Absolutely fascinating! May I ask where you are located?
Hi there, as someone mentioned above we live in Shetland.
I believe that all residents here have a right to access to a peat bank. Not many 'cast ' peats anymore but there are still enough people doing it for it to be a normal sight up the hillside.

If you like I can post a few pictures (on a new thread) of our bank and the amount we did this year.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
jansman

Post by jansman »

Britcit wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:23 pm

Hi there, as someone mentioned above we live in Shetland.
I believe that all residents here have a right to access to a peat bank. Not many 'cast ' peats anymore but there are still enough people doing it for it to be a normal sight up the hillside.

If you like I can post a few pictures (on a new thread) of our bank and the amount we did this year.
Pictures would be great,thanks. :D I guessed you were on the islands somewhere,as you used the term ‘allotted’,and it fell in with what I had read.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Seconding pictures - using peat in a place where it's actually appropriate is great, and it keeps alive the skills of cutting, storage and using, which are no mean feats in themselves from the sound of it. Thank you Britcit.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Going ( sort of) with the peat thread; tomorrow my car is in for service, MOT and a tyre repair. So, I shall cut and stack yet more firewood in the morning, get more home brew on the go and then spend the afternoon in my workshop tying fishing rigs, with You Tube fishing videos for company! My veg sowing and planting is up to speed, but I do have marigolds, cosmos and nasturtium to pot on, so I will pull that in tomorrow too.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:37 pm Going ( sort of) with the peat thread; tomorrow my car is in for service, MOT and a tyre repair. So, I shall cut and stack yet more firewood in the morning, get more home brew on the go and then spend the afternoon in my workshop tying fishing rigs, with You Tube fishing videos for company! My veg sowing and planting is up to speed, but I do have marigolds, cosmos and nasturtium to pot on, so I will pull that in tomorrow too.

May the MOT god's smile fortunately on you :lol:

Got mine done on Saturday in the pouring rain .. handbrake needs some TLC I watched the man doing it down on the driver's side but not enough to warrant an advisory. But it's going to be sorted ... Awaiting my new hub nuts to come in the post (one shot nylocks) that can only be fitted once and being Renault requires a bloody great big 36mm socket and just shy of 300nm torque on refit for the price of £10 each for the nuts :o

Got browny points of MOT man by moving his emissions tester before he started The MOT I was the first car in I drove it into the workshop to stay dry I know the owners ;) noticed the rain water was overwhelming the box gutter and dripping on his machine :shock:

Was so bad as I left it was coming through the roof elsewhere onto a big consumer unit for the other half of his unit
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:03 pm
jansman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:37 pm Going ( sort of) with the peat thread; tomorrow my car is in for service, MOT and a tyre repair. So, I shall cut and stack yet more firewood in the morning, get more home brew on the go and then spend the afternoon in my workshop tying fishing rigs, with You Tube fishing videos for company! My veg sowing and planting is up to speed, but I do have marigolds, cosmos and nasturtium to pot on, so I will pull that in tomorrow too.

May the MOT god's smile fortunately on you :lol:

Got mine done on Saturday in the pouring rain .. handbrake needs some TLC I watched the man doing it down on the driver's side but not enough to warrant an advisory. But it's going to be sorted ... Awaiting my new hub nuts to come in the post (one shot nylocks) that can only be fitted once and being Renault requires a bloody great big 36mm socket and just shy of 300nm torque on refit for the price of £10 each for the nuts :o

Got browny points of MOT man by moving his emissions tester before he started The MOT I was the first car in I drove it into the workshop to stay dry I know the owners ;) noticed the rain water was overwhelming the box gutter and dripping on his machine :shock:

Was so bad as I left it was coming through the roof elsewhere onto a big consumer unit for the other half of his unit
Car flew its MOT. Only downside was the slow puncture ( brand new tyre too).Nail right on the edge of the side wall- so another new tyre. Aah well, that’s cars.

Robert Frost.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Preps this week are me setting up a grab folder/notebook with all my important stuff in it. I will stick it on a usb stick and put it in my grab bag but also have it printed out in a lever file that's stored in the old gun safe. (Don't want info left lying about in a folder that someone can pick up if they broke in but I do want info, copies of important certificates etc to hand.) Something folks have chatted about on here before but I've only half heartedly done in the past. Included in there, apart from important insurance, banking and other personal details, I am creating a section of useful practical info should I not have access to the internet and there's a large SHtF situation - articles from home sanitation issues and fixes and water purification to how to long term preserve foods with out electricity. I know, highly unlikely that these things will ever be needed but best to have and not need is my moto and having information is good in my book. Just makes me feel more informed which is comforting. Now just to narrow down what I put in said info section! Lets not go silly :D
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)