What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Le Mouse

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Le Mouse »

Thanks Arzosah - the tea tree seems to have helped, but now my house stinks!! I'm off work next week, so housey stuff like ant destruction will happen then.

I hope Mrs Andy gets well soon - having pneumonia symptoms is terrifying. Thank goodness your ambulance crew was all over it! 'Summer flu' eh? Another thing to look out for!

My other prep today was to run around like a nutter unplugging everything because we had a thunderstorm. Had to use my phone as a hotspot so I could keep working as the thunder rumbled on.
Appin

Post by Appin »

Sorry to hear you are having such a rotten time.

Best wishes to both of you.

The pulse oximeter is interesting. They are now much cheaper. Boots currrently carry one for £20. When my brother in law who lives nearly 40 miles away got sicj with COVID he got his own pulse ox as a way of watching for deterioration.

The Pandemic flu plans rely on pulse oximeters as a way to pick up those who really need to go to hospital.

In the current situation they are simple to use and probably a worth while addition to any first aid kit. Telling ambulance control the patient has an 02 saturation of only 80 will get a reaction.

They can be a bit temperamental over working on cold hands ( wash in warm water). Practicing while you are well helps.

Normal is 94 - 98 % by the way.

This link shows someone at Everest Advanced Base Camp. His saturations are 78%. https://www.nonin.com/on-top-of-the-wor ... equipment/
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Appin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:13 pm Sorry to hear you are having such a rotten time.

Best wishes to both of you.

The pulse oximeter is interesting. They are now much cheaper. Boots currrently carry one for £20. When my brother in law who lives nearly 40 miles away got sicj with COVID he got his own pulse ox as a way of watching for deterioration.

The Pandemic flu plans rely on pulse oximeters as a way to pick up those who really need to go to hospital.

In the current situation they are simple to use and probably a worth while addition to any first aid kit. Telling ambulance control the patient has an 02 saturation of only 80 will get a reaction.

They can be a bit temperamental over working on cold hands ( wash in warm water). Practicing while you are well helps.

Normal is 94 - 98 % by the way.

This link shows someone at Everest Advanced Base Camp. His saturations are 78%. https://www.nonin.com/on-top-of-the-wor ... equipment/

Cheers all I've had one for a few years a hang up from having a bad chest infection ... I run it alongside the practice nurses unit and it gave the same reading so could sort of vouch for its accuracy I got 2 more early pandemic £8 from flea bay and both of them also match the readings against the medics life pack unit yesterday

Can see how the cold can cause them not to work .. I dealt with a severally mangled hand last winter ( industrial accident) and the cold drastically prevented severe blood loss and made my life as the first aider much easier ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Next disaster averted .. put one of my Lidl power banks into charge had it about 5 years... Sat in the lounge watching TV .. could smell what I can only describe as flour / warm baking sheet (a very strange smell but I've smelt it before. Looked at the power bank on charge on the glass panel I have on the shelf by the sofa and the thing is bulging so much it's flat case is rocking on the flat surface....

Don't like leaving lipo cells charging unattended for that reason and that just reinforced my reasoning... It's currently placed on the patio awaiting disposal tomorrow night on the allotment...... For those who've not seen a lipo cell go pop....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hGfCwPwCPQ

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm back at my "weeding for half an hour a day", but my back keeps twinging. It's better using a kneeler, which is actually just a piece of a neoprene camping mat from when I actually used such things.

Bug out bag/ hospital bag repacked - a lot of the bits I'd been taking away with me, eg on the AirBNB break, or helping family after brushes with general anaesthetic.

I have an ongoing story in my head (I'm pretending it's a novel, but I don't think it's going to get written) of a slow collapse shtf, a la Consciousness of Sheep, and I needed to know more about guns for it, as I'm almost completely ignorant. Faffing around on my phone, I was eventually directed to a site called Pew Pew something something - when you sign up for email updates, it shows a cat boxing with the camera :mrgreen: that's my kind of email update :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:41 pm I'm back at my "weeding for half an hour a day", but my back keeps twinging. It's better using a kneeler, which is actually just a piece of a neoprene camping mat from when I actually used such things.

Bug out bag/ hospital bag repacked - a lot of the bits I'd been taking away with me, eg on the AirBNB break, or helping family after brushes with general anaesthetic.

I have an ongoing story in my head (I'm pretending it's a novel, but I don't think it's going to get written) of a slow collapse shtf, a la Consciousness of Sheep, and I needed to know more about guns for it, as I'm almost completely ignorant. Faffing around on my phone, I was eventually directed to a site called Pew Pew something something - when you sign up for email updates, it shows a cat boxing with the camera :mrgreen: that's my kind of email update :mrgreen:
Are we talking about UK accessible guns? If so,I know a * bit* about them!

Look after your back,I totally understand.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:44 pm Are we talking about UK accessible guns? If so,I know a * bit* about them!
Oh thats a good point! I'll need a British one too. But I think illegals here in the UK would manage current American levels of firepower in a near-future shtf. I have a plot going about environmental catastrophe and several teams from across the planet (national and criminal) trying to lay hands on the resources of the Millenium Seedbank :twisted:

I couldn't twist your arm about generalities of what's available now in the UK - though if I ever write the thing, I might well do 8-) :?
Look after your back,I totally understand.
Yep, its really not good - it's when I lean over too far. I know what back exercises to do, and I'm very lax about doing them, totally my fault.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:35 pm
I couldn't twist your arm about generalities of what's available now in the UK - though if I ever write the thing, I might well do 8-) :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSwEGcngHF4

Don't forget all the firearms in the Police and Military as well.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks pseudonym - that's a guy who knows the detail of the licensing laws, my word! Very interesting.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well it's that time of the year again it's now becoming obvious that the nights are drawing in just a few weeks ago it was daylight at this time .. I've started slowly ramping up winter preps...

Firstly I've upgraded the garden lighting I've got a few
solar led flood lights but they don't give background light and in the depth of winter they sometimes need a few bright days before they start working again ..

I grabbed a led street light head with a huge solar panel on top for £10 recently at a flea market it's a lump but gives a decent light off without shining into the house windows.... And if it detects movement it gets much brighter........

It's one of these:

https://www.manomano.co.uk/solar-lights ... ePEALw_wcB

Seems well made comes with a basic remote so I can remotely set it to pir only .. dim then bright with movement.. and full power for 2 , 4 or 6 hours ...

And a smaller one on the decking area as it was in the shadow
Screenshot_20210731-222332.png
Not as good quality but £10 :tinfoil worth a try

Need to get some more shed stain asap and refill my small propane calor bottle which could be a task ....

Got the small lean to storage bunker re felted the other week

This is the month where I typically replace the smoke alarm batteries but I've slowly been replacing them all with ones that take AA batteries... Which the book says have a 3 year life span unlike the older pp3 9v units which were yearly... :mrgreen: so got another 2 years before fighting for the right to climb the steps with the 4 year old with the explorer bug who thinks he's trying to scale Everest :shock:

Picked up 4 new chicks who are at the ugly half fluff half feather stage about 12 weeks old so be a good couple of months before they come into lay properly....

Oh and need to finish painting the fences but the weather has put that task on hold